VMware Cloud Community
leedavila
Contributor
Contributor

Lab licensing

We have 3 separate VMWare production environments and I (finally) need to build a lab to test updates and patches before rolling them out to the live areas. I've found a solid server and a storage device to use, but would I have to license my lab environment like we do our production ones? I've read that you can download ESXi for free, but wanted more information before going down that road.

Thanks in advance!

Lee

Tags (1)
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Lee,

ESXi Free version is very limited and likely wouldn't be sufficient for testing what you can do in a full vSphere environment e.g. you can't even manage it from a vCenter.

Yes, you would have to have valid licenses for whatever VMware products you wish to use (e.g. ESXi, vCenter, vRealize etc.) or you won't be able to do much/anything with them - what you can/can't do when you have no/expired license depends on the product.

Evaluation versions (that have features equivalent to highest licensing levels) that expire after 60 days are available for most products which would do for a start I guess.

If you are not using this for work then you may be able to acquire NFR licenses via a number of means e.g. if you are a vExpert, if you have a VMUG Advantage membership or if you have a VMware TAM that can swing this.

Bob

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Just buy a vSphere Essentials for 470,- + 62,- bucks or go for VMUG Adv.

Regards,
Joerg

ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have big environment then check if you have any licenses with expired support.

0 Kudos