VMware Cloud Community
TodorPetkov
Contributor
Contributor

LUN does not show correct size after extend

Hi,

we are running cluster of 4 hosts, connected via FC to Lenovo Storage V3700 V2. We extended one of the LUNs from 16 to 20TB, but vCenter still shows 16TB size. When we go to a host - configure - storage devices, the correct size is shown (20TB), but Datastores shows 16TB. We found this article VMware Knowledge Base and upgraded the hosts to " 6.5.0, 15256549" (they were ESXi 6.5. Patch 01, build 5146846), but nothing changed. The current version of vSphere web client is "Version 6.5.0.32000 Build 15259038".

Anyone having same or similar issue?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Hi,

can you share the screenshot to understand the issue

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You don't state whether you have expanded the datastore after extending the LUN, as per this procedure: Increase VMFS Datastore Capacity

Note this selection - it will keep your VMFS datastore as a single partition:

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 09.10.06.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TodorPetkov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

here are screenshots from vCenter - datastores and from esx01 - datastores and storage devices.

Regards,

0 Kudos
TodorPetkov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

storage was increased as following:

1) Additional space was added in the storage itself

2) In vCenter - Datastores - LUN01 - General, we clicked "refresh", then Increase, it suggested 4TB as free space, we used it and store was increased to 20TB. After few weeks, we checked the free space on the datastore and to our surprise, it showed 16TB.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for confirming - that should help others reading this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I ran into such issues myself too with some vSphere versions.

What solved the issue for me was to connect to each host via e.g. putty and rescan the storage using the vmkfstools -V command (please note the upper-case -V).

André

0 Kudos
TodorPetkov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I ran this command on all hosts, but they still show 16TB storage.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do all the host (while logged in to the hosts directly) show the new size?

Did you do another rescan/refresh from the vCenter Server UI after running the commands on the hosts?

Does the additional space still not show up in the Add Storage wizard, when you try to increase the datastore?

André

0 Kudos
TodorPetkov
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the command on all hosts simultaneously, then went to vCenter - Datastores, clicked refresh, then increase, but it still shows the old size and there is no available space for increase.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that in this case you need to either follow the Workaround in the KB article that you found, or open a support case with VMware to see whether there's another way to resolve the issue.

André

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Hi,

have you check from storage side have space was provision over subscription and check capacity available in storage pools.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos