VMware Cloud Community
iamrufus
Contributor
Contributor

LSI speed issues on ESX host

Hi everyone

I am having some real issues with my LSI 9211-8i card transferring at rather slow speeds running on my esxi host. I have flashed this card to IT mode successfully and i have hooked 2 WD reds up to it.

My file server VM is stored on an ssd using the mother board controller and has no issues at all. I have mounted my synology box to the file server at /var/synology via nfs and transferred 2 mkv files over to it. These transferred at around 100MB/s which was great.

I then passed through my LSi card to the VM and created a mdadm software raid0 using the 2 WD reds i have installed. That seemed to go fine, i now have a md0 array showing 5.5TB of space. I mounted the new array at /mnt/raid0. Just to note i haven't actually installed any drivers for this card onto the linux vm which is centos 7. I then tried to transfer the same 2 mkv files from the mounted synology box at /var/synology to /mnt/raid0 using rsync and the speed was showing as 23MB/s! Very slow indeed. I just cant work out what is going on here.

I then decided to break the array and remove the pass through of the LSI controller. I created a single 3TB datastore on one of the WD red drives still hooked up to the LSI controller. I added a second vmfs drive to the file server of 60gb. It now has 1x 20gb drive from the ssd which is the boot drive and 1x 60gb data drive stored on the LSI datastore. Ran the same transfer again and this time got aound 50MB/s copying files to the new vmfs volume on the LSI datastore.

I am tempted to just ditch the card as its giving me a headache. Really not sure whats going on here. Just wondered if anyone who has one of these has run into any similar issues. I am tempted to try it on windows to see if it makes any difference at all.

Thanks all

0 Kudos
0 Replies