VMware Cloud Community
jround
Contributor
Contributor

LSI_SAS errors, freezing VMs - intermittent

Having a headache with random VMs on random ESX hosts on random datastores suddenly showing the below error in the Windows system event log, 2008, 2012, 2016 even one with a pvscsi driver showed the errors at one point so I don't think the LSI_SAS driver is to blame as recommended per a KB article (the example below is on a higher version of the driver than the problematic one anyway)

As you can see this server started going funny around 05:49, so I grabbed the vmkernel logs from the host it was running on and the vm machine log itself from around that time in the hope someone may have some ideas as I'm out of them! (I have even rebooted all the ESX hosts several times, rescanned storage etc.) - it would make a lot more sense if suddenly all VMs on a specific host or datastore had issues at the same time!

vm.png

We recently had some issues with our Dell SC5020 storage but resolved that by updating the firmware, these errors did seem to only start occuring when the storage was having issues but since the firmware upgrades no errors on that side of things to report so I don't think storage is the issue here either!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jround
Contributor
Contributor

Also if I live storage vMotion one of the problematic VMs it gets to around 84% then takes forever but does eventually complete albeit with error 'The object 'vim.Task:task-6493' has already been deleted or has not been completely created', if I power the VM off before doing so vMotion gets stuck at 99% for up to a couple of hours but then does eventually complete successfully so that is a bit strange too!

0 Kudos