VMware Cloud Community
JsProsonic
Contributor
Contributor

LICENSE WINDOWS SERVER 2019 STANDARD ON HA CLUSTER

Hello people, I need your help, we are drawing a VMware project in cluster environment with 4 Nodes, I already talked with many people but till now no one gave me a clear answer.

So we have 4 NODES, and we will have 4 Windows Server and 1 Win10 Pro 64 Running in one of this 4 hosts

Host
Windows Server 2019 StdWindows 10 Pro 64
1 31

The idea of this 4 hosts is if one fails the virtual machine move to a different host.

How can we license windows? Each host has 1 Processor with 10 Cores. Can you please give me a help?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

About Windows Server

2x  Windows Server 2019 Standard (16 Core) + Software Assuarance

Gives you the rights to run 2+2 Windows Server VMs on one or two Hosts. The SA give you the rights to run the VMs within a Farm aka. movement. So you can reassign the license when ever you want which is whats needed when HA or vMotion is executed.

The minimum 16 License cover the 10 Core Single Socket Host.

Duno about Windows 10.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
JsProsonic
Contributor
Contributor

Hello IRIX, thank you very much for your time!

Please correct me if I am wrong, in that case, we can buy two licenses of Windows Server 2019, so we will get 4 licenses for the 16 cores each. In a situation of Vmotion, I just need to go the VM and reassign the license, is correct my understanding?

There is a company trying to sell me 8 licenses of Windows Server 2019 because they told me that we must licentiate all the processors. We have 4 ESXI.  One processor 10 Cores each.

But with your method we can do it correct?

Tks!

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Hello,

yes your understanding is correct as long as you buy a Windows Server Std. license WITH SA.

If you buy a cheap OEM Windows Server STANDARD  and move the license from one phys. Host to another in case of a vMotion or HA you violates against the product terms (formaly known as PUR)

If you buy a Volume license of Windows Server Std/DC and move the license form one phys. Hosts to another in case of a vMotion or HA in less than 90 days you violates against the product termin (formaly known as PUR)

Solutions

1. Buy SA

2. Buy Windows (OEM/Volume License) Datacenter and license every Host/CPU in the Cluster which gives you a VM Flatrate and the rights to move the VMs around inside the Cluster every few seconds if you like

Since you have a low consolidation ratio or just not enough Windows VMs the 2nd. options is not cost effective. The key is the license mobility.

From a Microsoft perspective it doesn't matter which hypervisor you use.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Manjana
Contributor
Contributor

software assurance does NOT give you license mobility on windows server. It only does for SQL Server

Every Host, need to have atleast 16 cores licensed

every core needs to be licensed and every cpu needs to have atleast an 8 cores license

One 16 Core standard license, allows you to run two operating systems (which need to both be on the same hardware at all times)

Every host this COULD be running on, needs to be licensed

so, 4 virtual machines

4 hosts

you need 2x16 core licenses and that x4 for a total of 128

not sure about the windows 10 licensing, only just starting on that subject myself. Is quite dependent on the rest of your setup.

Also, don‘t forget about the Windows Server CALs

all i can suggest, stop looking in all the dark plaxes on the internet

only read microsoft‘s own documentation, recently released so nothing from before 2016

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Manjana

Your right! Iam wrong!!

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos