VMware Cloud Community
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with installing Windows Server 2019 on ESXi 6.0.0

Now that I've got my additional space in ESXi, I am trying to install Windows Server 2019, but I can't get vsphere client to boot to my Server 2019 ISO. Just for troubleshooting, I setup a new VM, attached Windows Server 2012 ISO and booted right up.  I looked up requirements and 2019 is supported with ESXi 6.0.  The 2019 ISO is valid, since I've used it with Hyper-V.

pastedImage_2.png

I can only go up to Windows Server 2012 when selecting a version.  Any ideas why I can't boot to Server 2019?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey Ratchet2657​,

From here I recommend you two different tests:

• Upload the ISO to a Datastore and connect the ISO using the Datastore ISO File in the CD-Drive.
  • Change the boot options there and force the BIOS in the next boot and once in BIOS change the boot order to the CD first.

Even if you follow the first step, force the next boot to be BIOS so you can change the order.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What DO you see when you boot the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor

pastedImage_0.png

That's what I see when trying to boot the VM. I've gone into the BIOS and selected CD ROM just like I've done with the 2012 VM, but only the 2019 VM is having issues.

This is what I see for the Network Adapter

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

From the screenshot, it looks like the VM is using virtual BIOS.

Try adding the following configuration to the vmx.

firmware="efi"

bios.forceSetupOnce="TRUE"

and change the virtual CDROM interface to SATA interface.

firmware="efi" makes the VM use virtual UEFI. This isn't just for the install process as a long term benefit it is best to work with UEFI with a modern OS.

bios.forceSetupOnce="TRUE" will power up to the virtual UEFI. Assuming the virtual CDROM is detected you should be able to select to boot from EFI CDROM. On top of that the VM has keyboard focus at this point and makes it easier to respond to the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..."

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine:

- Upload the ISO to a datastore and try connecting the ISO from the Datastore.
- On boot options: select boot to BIOS on next boot option:;

Nothing to do with boot but:
- Remove the E1000 interface and swap it for a VMxnet3 please, E1000 comes with a variety of issues on windows guests

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor

-" Upload the ISO to a datastore and try connecting the ISO from the Datastore.
- On boot options: select boot to BIOS on next boot option:;

Nothing to do with boot but:
- Remove the E1000 interface and swap it for a VMxnet3 please, E1000 comes with a variety of issues on windows guests"

I've already removed the E1000 interface and selected boot to BIOS. Not sure what you mean by try connecting the ISO from the Datastore. I just upload the 2019 ISO to the Datastore and select it here:

pastedImage_0.png

It's the same way I upload the 2012 ISO, but that boots just fine. Just not the 2019 ISO. I used the same ISO for Hyper-V and works fine.  I'm now looking to upgrade 6.0 to 6.5 since it's only compatible to 6.5. Maybe that will fix the boot issue.

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I tried to upgrade 6.0 to 6.5 U3 and this is the error I came across.

pastedImage_0.png

Shouldn't I be able to upgrade the existing VMFS datastore from 6.0 to 6.5 U3 ?  I don't have an option to move to another datastore.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest starting a new thread on this topic.

As a moderator I could do that for you using a “branch” function, but you might be better doing it yourself and adding more detail about the host on which you have attempted the ESXi upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos