VMware Cloud Community
Spuij
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue Windows 10 and RDP ESXi 6.7

I have an issue with ESXi 6.7 u1 and Windows 10 machines.

I have a server with 7 virtual machines 2 Windows Server 2016 and 5 Windows 10 x64 machines.

All are working fine but 1 thing i can't solve.

The Server 2016 machines can be reached using RDP without any problems.

The Windows 10 machines however can be reached with RDP for a specific time frame, which i can't place.

If i connect to the Vsphere webclient and activate a console screen, and the login screen in visible but don't login, i can login again with RDP.

One thing that i did see, is that in the VM Machine overview in the web client the hostnames of the windows 10 machines aren't visible and it says the vmware tools are installed but not running.

As soon as i do the console trick (opening but not log in) in the web client, the hostname is visible and the tools are running.

So it seems as if the W10 machines are in a sort of sleep state.

__

Just for your info

Windows 10 Machines

Firewall off

Power option to High Performance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you check if there are any errors/warnings in the event viewer of the Windows 10 machines?

Also verify if the sleep options are configured correctly. Definitely check the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"  on your nic's in Windows 10 OS under the power management tab.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you check if there are any errors/warnings in the event viewer of the Windows 10 machines?

Also verify if the sleep options are configured correctly. Definitely check the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"  on your nic's in Windows 10 OS under the power management tab.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
Spuij
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Rick,

There are no errors in the event viewer. The power options are at hight performance and all the sleep options are set to off, so it can't sleep in any way.

2018-11-23 13_09_02-localhost.localdomain - VMware ESXi - Internet Explorer.png

As you can see, the windows 10 machines all are as seems "out of reach" for fetching info from the machines.

The VMware tools .. so it seems are doing the trick, because they are not running, however if i use the console the tools wakeup and RDP is possible.

2018-11-23 13_14_37-localhost.localdomain - VMware ESXi - Internet Explorer.png

0 Kudos
fransvanbasten
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I encounter exactly the same issue using ESXi 6.5

It is stated here that the problem has been solved, however I don't see the solution.

The answer that is indicated as "Correct answer" only says: "Check errors/warnings in event viewer and verify if sleep options are configured correctly".
However, it is not indicated what the correct settings are!

I have no errors/warnings in the event viewer and my sleep options look like this:

pastedImage_0.png

Is there anybody who can point if the problem is really solved and if yes, what the real solution is?

Regards,

Frans

prax211
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Go to your Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center - Change Adapter settings then right click Properties of network adapter. In new popup window for ethernet adapter click 'Configure' and go to Power Management tab. You will see the solution mentioned check box, uncheck...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Set all options to "Always on"

0 Kudos
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great solution, this was obviously a Windows OS issue and not an VMware issue.

0 Kudos