VMware Cloud Community
vmman34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a way to change the displayed hostname of a host in the vSphere Client?

Hello,

I seem to having trouble adding hosts to my Datacenter using the hostname, ie. esxi-01.

But it works if I add the hosts by IP address.

The hosts are added to Active Directory, and they can all resolve each other by name.

As you can see from the picture below.

All I want to do is see the hostname instead of the IP address so that it is easier to interpret.

Thanks

vs.JPG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to remove and then re-add these hosts using their FQDN. If you do not have an internal DNS server, one is required to make this work. It does not matter if ESXi hosts are joined to AD or not as this is irrelevant.

0 Kudos
vmman34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I do have an internal DNS Server and the hosts are pointing to it.

The DNS server is also the DC and I have stated that the ESXi hosts can resolve names correctly.

The ESXi hosts are also added to the domain.

But the problem occurs when I try to add the ESXi hosts to my Datacenter by their FQDN in the vSphere Client. It doesn't recognise them by name, but it finds them by using their ip address.

I don't understand.

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then either your vCenter is not pointed to this same DNS server or there are connectivity issues reaching it.

0 Kudos
vmman34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I managed to resolve it.

The wording asks for either the Host name or IP address.

But you have to specify the FQDN if the host has been added to a domain. i.e host1.mydomain.com

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Host name is always FQDN, even if you have a default domain specified, and regardless of if it's domain joined or not.

0 Kudos
idigit
Contributor
Contributor

vmman34,

I am having the exact same trouble for my Lab environment. Did you have any resolution yet?

Thanks,

iDigIT

0 Kudos