VMware Cloud Community
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there a some type of sound card plug-in for vSphere to route audio over IP?

To benefit from the protections of the vSphere environment, I'd like to move a VM off of Fusion that has a sound card (and needs it) but there are no sound cards in the vSphere servers so I'm thinking maybe a plug-in of sorts that captures that output and sends it to a receiver app or something over the network. I imagine this must be a plug-in or extension since would be added at the VM's config, not in the VM itself. Basically the VM should see it as a basic hardware sound card regardless of how it's implemented.

Is there such a thing or am I asking for too much? 😕

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe this is only possible when accessing the VM via some sort remote access protocol (RDP, PCOIP, BLAST) - it's audio redirection to the client device.

You may need to amend the guest OS, here's an example for RDP: VMware Knowledge Base

PCOIP or BLAST with a vSphere VM would use VMware Horizon, but the principle is the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe this is only possible when accessing the VM via some sort remote access protocol (RDP, PCOIP, BLAST) - it's audio redirection to the client device.

You may need to amend the guest OS, here's an example for RDP: VMware Knowledge Base

PCOIP or BLAST with a vSphere VM would use VMware Horizon, but the principle is the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for answering and,

that's sort of genius! I don't have Horizon though, our environment is not that big but what if I used Fusion as vSphere client? That's actually the main reason I got Fusion for, would that work?? I can't modify the guest OS. I would've fixed it with something like Rogueamoeba's Airfoil if I could. (…and yep, that's where I got the idea, I'm not that smart. :smileylaugh: )

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

With what I was thinking, the only role that Fusion or vSphere would perform is to be hosting the VM - the sound capability would be native to the guest OS and whatever remote access protocol you were using (such as RDP).

vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it!

You gave me a lot to go on, I'll try it remoting in with Fusion first, then I'd have the best of both environments, the desktop hardware of the Mac + the resiliency and automation and whatnot from vSphere. I do this all the times with things such as Rufus which is obviously only on Windows and not compatible with Wine, unlike RDP, Fusion's whatever-it's-using-protocol let's you mount remote hardware out of the box. RDP needs policies, as you seem to know, and even when it all goes as planned, rarely the case, remote device support is mediocre at best.

This is not Windows, though, so it's not like I have a choice anyway, heh. If all fails, there's always a USB soundcard, I kinda want to see that thing where a VM vMotions around the cluster with its USB passthrough device staying put in one host, I'm also curious if Creative/SoundBlaster is still a thing--that might not even be the name I mean, it's been soo long since sound cards…

Thanks once more!

0 Kudos