VMware Cloud Community
Hamberg
Contributor
Contributor

Internet problem on VM running on Vsphere 6.5 - err_connection_timed_out

I'm running a VM on vSphere 6.5 ..Windows 10 brand new install, not on any domain .. firewall free .. nothing but the vmware tools installed

On only one particular website (banking services) , i'm getting this message err_connection_timed_out but not always .. it could run ok for a few session (with restart) . Then after 10 restart, it starts failing (err_connection_timed_out) ... after while few more restart it starts working again without changing anything ... it looks like the website doesnt want to answer the request sometimes when it comes from vSphere environment. We were not able to make it work if it was not working without rebooting the VM until I noticed that if i switch the Network Card to Vmxnet3 instead of E1000 or E1003 during a session .. magically it seems to fix the problem .... but if i keep the VMXNET3 and start rebooting .. it will fail eventually!

we've tried different Service Providers, with and without Firewall always the same thing happening .... it's only happening on vm running on vSphere .. no problem what's so ever with any other device

As a test, i've tried the same thing with Windows 7 ... same thing is happening ... and only for that website ...

We've been trying to figure out what was happening with the bank but  ... we haven't had no cooperation so far!

Maybe someone have seen this before .. ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hamberg​,

what version on VMware Tools did You install on this Windows 10 VM?

Run this command in cmd of this VM please, to check what are the default tcp features settings:

netsh int tcp show global

Thanks

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
Hamberg
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running  10279 (10.1.7) .. I've tried Vm Version 11 and 13

Here's the global Parameters requested

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Get and install the latest VMware Tools in Windows 10 VM, please. Check if the network situation is stable now using the latest VMXNET3 drivers.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Oh, I forgot to paste this:

Index of /45848/tools/esx/latest/windows

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos
Hamberg
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try this for a few days and let you know the results

0 Kudos
Hamberg
Contributor
Contributor

New tools did not help ... problem came back after a few reboot ...i'm really scratching my head on this one!

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

What browser are you using ? Have you tried with different browsers ? Basically VMXNET3 or E1000E are just a network adapters and I dont have it has to do something with loading websites in your browser, when you change the adapter, the MAC changes and that might have helped you on few instances when the new MAC with IP loaded in the underlying network. This kind of issues occurs due to DNS , firewall or some network issues . This timeout occurs because the page (banking URL) is not responding to your request in timely fashion.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hamberg​,

switch vNIC to VMXNET3 and disable RSC first using this command:

netsh int tcp set global rsc=disabled

To verify that RSC is disabled on the virtual machine, run this:

netsh int tcp show global command. 

The Receive Segment Coalescing State should be set to disabled.

Check if VM is running stable now.

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos
Hamberg
Contributor
Contributor

Well .. in order to take the browser out off the equation .. we used telnet on port 443 .. so when the issue occurs, it's not responding on the telnet side either  ... so even with telnet we see the same exact behavior ... so it's beyond the browser something onto the network ... we also took out the firewall as well as the internet provider as we tested both and the issue is happening regardless of the Internet Provider/Firewall and whether or not the vm in a local domain!

As far as the dns goes ... it's always returns the same ip ..

The issue doesnt happen out the VMWARE environment

0 Kudos
Hamberg
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try to disable RSC and let you know the results

0 Kudos
Hamberg
Contributor
Contributor

Probleme came back even with this setting ... i've tried with and without the new vmtools you sent me earlier

This problem is driving me insane!

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

It seems to be a problem with a support of some offloading features by servers physical NIC for VMXNET3. That's why the problem disappears when You change vNIC from VMXNET3 to E1000.

You could try to disable some per VM features. Look at this:

Install ESXi 6.5 on R730 with Intel X710

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos