VMware Cloud Community
vincenjw
Contributor
Contributor

Intel X710 SFP DA and SR IOV "not supported"

Hello,

I deployed at a customer offices several Dell R740 servers (laste BIOS) with vSpehre 6.5U1 and vSAN.

I'm using Intel X710 DA 10Gb (2 ports) NIC cards.

My client would like to use SR IOV for somes VMs. These NICS support SR IOV (with i40e and i40en drivers). It's the first time I have to use SR IOV.

I activated "SR-IOV Global" in the Dell BIOS servers and I uses the "esxcli system module parameters set -m NIC_Driver_Module -p "max_vfs=n"" commands on esxi hosts.

I tried with a i40e driver and the i40en drivers.

But after the reboot vSphere still tell me the cards are not supported for SR IOV.

I did the same on a VXrail cluster (vSphere 6.0) with x540 NIC Intel it works well...

Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Vincent

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aatsemet
Contributor
Contributor

When you enable the "SR-IOV Global" on the BIOS for the Dell Servers the configuration is not pushed to the NIC setting so you will need to enable SR-IOV on the NIC as well.

Boot to BIOS Setup:

- Go to System BIOS >> Device Settings >> Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710 >> Device Level Configuration >> Virtualization Mode = SR-IOV.

- Save settings and reboot.

vOrangutan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for posting this back in 2018. I was going crazy assuming Global actually meant Global, nope!

Booted into the BIOS and made the changes you recommended. SR-IOV is now enabled for the NICs.

0 Kudos
PhilipJLee
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks from me too, still relevant as need Intel 700 series with SR-IOV to allow tagged interfaces with Juniper vMX on ESX 7...

0 Kudos