VMware Cloud Community
quacktacular
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESXi to RAID 1 array on a 8405E

Hey there! I'm trying to install ESXi on a server with this storage configuration:

• 2x 128GB SATA SSD in RAID 1 array (ESXi boot)
  • 2x 4TB SATA HDD in RAID 1 array (VM datastore)
  • 1x 512GB NVMe SSD on its own (VM datastore)

I have a hardware RAID card Adaptec 8405E with the latest firmware. My RAID arrays have been created and are visible in other OS. I know I could install to a USB key, but we really just want to use the RAID 1 storage for redundancy.

When I boot to the ESXi installer (6.5 / 6.7) only the USB key and my NVMe card show up as destinations (local). I've tried to use the ESXi Customer PS PowerShell script to create a custom ISO using what I believe are the correct vib files, but so far I still see no destinations.

What can I do next here I'm really stumped?

1 Reply
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Kindly note that, you have to load the driver of your Adapter on the ESXi package.

For that, kindly follow the below steps:

To install the Adaptec RAID controller driver with VMware ESXi 6.0 or VMware ESXi 5.5, you must create a custom boot image using the ESXi-Customizer tool. ESXi-Customizer automates the process of customizing the ESXi install-ISO and runs as a script under Microsoft PowerShell.

You can download the ESXi-Customizer tool at http://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer.html or other locations on the Web.

Note: Be sure to install the prerequisite software first, including Powershell and Microsoft .NET 2.0, before you install ESXi-Customizer.

To install the Adaptec RAID controller driver while installing VMware:

1. Download and install Microsoft PowerShell and Microsoft .NET 2.0, as needed. You can download PowerShell and Microsoft .NET from the Microsoft Download Center at www.microsoft.com/download.
    Note: PowerShell is pre-installed on many Windows systems, including Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, and Windows 8.x.
  2. Download the ESXi-Customizer tool at http://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer.html or other Web location. Then unpack the archive to a local directory on your Windows system; C:\ESXi-Customizer, for instance.
  3. Run ESXi-Customizer from the installation directory:
    C:\ESXi-Customizer>ESXi-Customizer.cmd
    The ESXi-Customizer GUI window opens.
  4. Enter the path to the original VMware install-ISO and the driver VIB file for your VMware version. The files should be on your USB driver disk or in the driver download directory on your Windows system (see Creating a Driver Disk).

Option

Description

ESXi 5.5

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0-1331820.x86_64.iso

vmware-esxi-drivers-scsi-aacraid-550.5.2.1.XXXXX.-1.5.5.1331820.x86_64.vib

ESXi 6.0

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.0.0-2494585.x86_64.iso

vmware-esxi-drivers-scsi-aacraid-600.6.2.1.XXXXX.-1.0.6.2159203.x86_64.vib

5. Choose a working directory for the script (to save the custom ISO), then click Run. For example:

pastedImage_6.png

6. When the pop-up message prompts to add the driver VIB, click Yes. ESXi-Customizer builds the custom ISO and saves it in the working directory.    

7. Burn the custom ISO image to a writable CD.
                Note: Use whatever tool you prefer to burn the CD, such as an interactive (GUI-based) tool or a command line tool.
                Remove the CD after you finish burning the image.

8. On the VMware ESXi machine, insert the custom boot CD, then restart your computer.

9. Follow the on-screen instructions to begin the VMware installation.

10. Complete the VMware installation, following the on-screen instructions.

11. Remove the custom boot CD, then reboot your computer.

At the End, dont forget to mention my response as Correct or Helpful if it is !!! Smiley Wink

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak