VMware Cloud Community
top_kella
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESXi onto a HP ProDesk 400 G4

Hi helpers, as above I am trying to install ESXi 6.0 update2 onto a brand new HP ProDesk 400 G4 , from the BIOS I disabled the TPM chip and secure boot but I cannot get the PC to boot using the CD-Rom, I have tested the CD and it works fine on another machine.

Any advise ??

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

People still have time to burn ROM discs?

Your issue may be with UEFI boot, which is how all pretty branded desktops work now.

But should be bootable with an ESXi iso on a usb drive.

And not that it will matter, it might be worth a shot to see if the HPE ESXi contains ingredients for their desktops, but doubtful.

HP ProDesk 400 G4 MT 7th Gen i3-500x500.jpg

0 Kudos
top_kella
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave, lol @ CD ROMS..... Currently trying to find out to create a bootable USB drive lol...

Thanks for the advise.

0 Kudos
top_kella
Contributor
Contributor

I have now managed to disable the UEFI secure boot and the disc is not booting into VMWare... but the now new issue is the install does not recognise the network adapter and will not install. !!

What now?

Thanks

0 Kudos
andriir
Contributor
Contributor

I am now running ESXi 6.5 on HP ProDesk 600 G4

Couldn't get it to work with UEFI/GPT boot partition (BIOS is likely to blaim), so will stick with Legacy/MBR

Was able to find a workaround for "formatwithmbr" option not working (partition still being formatted for GPT): install ESXi 6.5 version instead

Didn't upgrade to 6.7 yet, but see no reasons why it shouldn't work

0 Kudos