VMware Cloud Community
aj800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Initialize powering on loop at the Datacenter level in vSphere 7?

I have 2 clusters - one of them I added recently and the hosts there still need some configuration work, including adding a shared datastore to them, but at least they're in their own separate cluster... while the other cluster has 2 hosts fully configured including with a shared datastore (only one so far).  These are hosts in two different chassis, hence 2 separate clusters since they will be managed separately, but by the same vCenter 7.0U3.  In the task pane, every 30 seconds it posts a message "Initialize powering on" and the target is the name of the Datacenter both host clusters are in, and the initiator is "com.vmware.vim.eam", and it completes each task with a green check.  What is this message and how to I fix it?  How does a Datacenter "power on"?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aj800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The "initialize powering on" messages I was getting were due to one of the clusters having 2 hosts in it that did not have a shared storage system (shared datatstore) available to them at the time.  There would be no means of heartbeating, HA clustering or vMotion between them at that point, from my understanding.  So, I removed the hosts from the cluster and managed them as standalone hosts under the Datacenter level until we could configure our storage system to be available to both those hosts.  After removing the hosts from the cluster, the messages stopped.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm having this problem now too.  I have a case open.  Did you find out what was causing it ?

0 Kudos
seyahwerdna
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes me too!

0 Kudos
Nino_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mee too, any solutions? 

0 Kudos
aj800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The "initialize powering on" messages I was getting were due to one of the clusters having 2 hosts in it that did not have a shared storage system (shared datatstore) available to them at the time.  There would be no means of heartbeating, HA clustering or vMotion between them at that point, from my understanding.  So, I removed the hosts from the cluster and managed them as standalone hosts under the Datacenter level until we could configure our storage system to be available to both those hosts.  After removing the hosts from the cluster, the messages stopped.

0 Kudos