VMware Cloud Community
ExceedingLife
Contributor
Contributor

Increase Storage DataStore no LUN ID

Hello all,

I thought this would be an extremely easy process but its appearing not to be. I am a new VMware VSphere Administrator the old user that did all of this left the company. I have increased VM Hard Drives in the past added resources etc.

Well I have a VM its our File Server, this VM has 9 drives, 2 of them at actually on the VM itself and the rest are in its own datastore as it looks to me. Well the drives are running out of space and I am trying to increase the space from our SAN to this DataStore that is on the VM.

When I right click on filedatastore and click "Increase Datastore Capacity" it opens and then its searching for "Select Disk/LUN" and nothing appears when its done loading. After all the examples I look at online here a disk or LUN should appear then you can easily add more storage to the datastore.

There must be some steps I am missing or I am completely doing this the wrong way. 

Would anyone like to help me out with this question? I can add any extra information that is needed. I have 4 main SANS and when I click on one of the SAN Datastores actually the same thing happens, no disks/LUNs load to be selected. So maybe my environment is setup different

We are using VSphere vcenter67

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your post to the moderators, since it needs moving to the area for vSphere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
If your VM has disks on an External SAN (Storage), you should increase the space on the Lun or Luns where these disks are located.
In an external Storage a Lun is a piece of a Pool or Array of disks. It can also be that a Lun occupies all the space of the Pool or Array.
If there is no free space in the Pool or Array to allocate to the Lun, you may need to first add new disks in the Pool or Array where the Lun is.
If your storage is IBM or Lenovo branded and you have access to the storage management, it is your lucky day, I can help you for free, remotely to check your external storage.
Send an internal message

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
nordhuus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We need a bit more information. Did you increase the Volum on your SAN before trying to increase the datastore?
Did you run rescan storage on your cluster in vCenter?

VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

The issue that you explained is mentioned in the below KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1011754

So after expanding the lun from the storage side first you need to do a rescan on the cluster level

(Right click on the cluster >> Storage >>rescan)

If it is not showing from the vcenter interface try to access the host client directly as per the KB

If it is not showing from the host client interface >>you need to expand it from the command line

By following the below KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2002461

To make it easy for you I shared an example :

1)you need to know the identifier by running the below command:

esxcli storage vmfs extent list | grep datastorename

Then follow the below steps mentioned in the KB

1)partedUtil getptbl "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.xxxxxx"

Output:

336746 255 63 21474836480

1  2048 21474836446 0 0

Where 1 :is the no of the partition

2- partedUtil getUsableSectors "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.xxxxx"

34 21474836446

From the output of the above 2 commands >>you will use them in the third command as below

4-#partedUtil resize "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.xxxx" 1 2048 21474836446

5-Refresh the storage # vmkfstools -V

6-#vmkfstools --growfs "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.xxxxx:1" "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.xxxxx:1"

Note :1 mentioned in the above command is the no of the partition that we got from the first command

• Refresh the storage  # vmkfstools -V

Then rescan the cluster from the vcenter interface

Note :Sometimes when you run the first command it will give you the error in the below KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2121741

so fix the error first by following the KB then follow the command line steps mentioned above

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Soha Fouad

0 Kudos