VMware Cloud Community
faherne_CTI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import and boot a VM with a legacy VM hardware and tools versions

Hi,

Does anyone know a procedure to import and boot a legacy VM into a vCenter v6.7+ (e.g. from an ESX 3.*-4.* environment), where the VM hardware version and tools version is very old (e.g VM hardware v4)? My understanding is that it's not just a simple power off the VM, then right-click and upgrade VM hardware, as the VM tools needs to be upgraded to a minimum version first, but how do you upgrade the VM tools, if you can't boot the VM in the first place?

Thanks,

Fin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This should be in the general vSphere area as it's not about a VCAP certification, I've reported the thread to ask moderators to move it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
faherne_CTI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Scott,

I have to disagree with you - My question is based on an actual VCAP-DCV 2020 exam question. I was unable to find any VMware documentation on how to deal with this scenario, so I figured the VCAP forum was the next best place to see if others knew how to answer the question.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Be careful when posting content which is "based on an actual VCAP-DCV 2020 exam question" - that might be a violation of the exam agreement.

You're more likely to get an answer to your question in the general vSphere area where this thread is now located.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos