VMware Cloud Community
Riker1964
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Implications for Changing the Configured Guest OS after OS is working

Author : Martina Laleva

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-3B66132C-F3E7-4F...

Topic Name : Change the Configured Guest Operating System

Publication Name : vSphere Virtual Machine Administration

Product/Version : VMware vSphere/6.0

Question :

I have a VM that is set to Windows Server 2012 (x64) but I have upgraded this VM to W2K16 (1607). I would like to change the setting for the configured OS to reflect W2K16 under the settings for the VM, VM Options, General Options. What are the implications of doing so? This VM is a backup DC so i do not want anything negative to happen to the OS and operatiion of this VM. Please advise. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With changing the guest OS in the VM's settings, you shouldn't experience any issues.

As mentioned in the documentation:

Changing the guest operating system type after the virtual machine is created does not retroactively change those settings. It affects the recommendations and setting ranges offered after the change.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With changing the guest OS in the VM's settings, you shouldn't experience any issues.

As mentioned in the documentation:

Changing the guest operating system type after the virtual machine is created does not retroactively change those settings. It affects the recommendations and setting ranges offered after the change.

André

0 Kudos
Riker1964
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Must have missed that line. Looks like it is safe to do then. TY

0 Kudos