VMware Cloud Community
alex_vsphere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Implementing vSphere replicatoin appliance v8.1.0.4

Hello.

I am trying to implement vSphere replication between two sites, same SSO domain. Each site with its own vCenter server and its own PSC. Site 1 has 2 PSC actually.

vSphere replication appliance 01 is connected to VCS01 (this senter has two PSC, PSC01 and PSC03)

vSphere replication appliance 02 is connected to VCS02 (this one has only one PSC, PSC02)

Attached you may find the picture with the structure for the vSphere replication, as shown in vCenter.

When I open the SITE RECOVERY, for the first site, in order to configure the replication, I get the errors - see the attached picture.

The same goes for site two.

There is no problem with DNS or time settings.

What could be the issue?

I am using vSphere 6.7 and the same version of vCenter.

Any tips much appreciated.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Alex,

You need to "Open Site Recovery"

From the vSphere Replication 8.1 Docs: Site Recovery Client Plug-In

and then "New Site Pair"

and add the PSC address of the other site.

you will then see a Pair of sites and you will be able to configure VM's for replication.

Configure vSphere Replication Connections

Replicating Virtual Machines

Please let us know if this has fixed your issues.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

Site Recovery is for SRM configuration, not for replication.

In order to manage vsphere replication, kindly navigate to vcenter>configure>vSphere Replciation>

In order to monitor Incoming/Outgoing Replications navigate to vcenter>monitor>vSphere Replication

To enable replication, right click the VM>All vSphere Replciation actions>Configure Replication. follow the wizard to set RTO/RPO etc.,

Have you installed SRM server and planning to implement using vsphere replication? Then setup SRM sites first and configure to use vsphere replication.

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
alex_vsphere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Strange.

This is what I have downloaded

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VR81&productId=742

And it says vSphere replication.

I will give it another try. I was not able to find the vSphere replication option in my vCenter server. So I thought that in this new version, vSphere replication was included in vSphere SRM.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

You have downloaded correct product, but your checking the vSphere replication management option in the wrong tab.

As i stated above, navigate to paths and manage the replication:

In order to manage vsphere replication, kindly navigate to vcenter>configure>vSphere Replciation>

In order to monitor Incoming/Outgoing Replications navigate to vcenter>monitor>vSphere Replication

To enable replication, right click the VM>All vSphere Replciation actions>Configure Replication. follow the wizard to set RTO/RPO etc.,

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
alex_vsphere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello.

Just to make sure that I go through the process the right way, I have attached two printscreens. One when deploying the VSRA and one containing the configuration of VSRA, after deployment. Could you please have a look at the values entered? Are they correct? I have used descriptions.

One thing to keep in mind is that the platform Control services run on its own server, separated from vCenter.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

Your configuration seems to be right, if you have any doubt find the below post on step-by-step deployment of vsphere replication.

How to Deploy, Install and Configure vSphere Replication 6.5.1 – HyperVMwareCloud

Regards,

vFouad
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Raj,

This is something that actually changed in 8.1.

vSphere replication now runs a HTML 5 client and the plugin is accessed via a "site recovery" plugin.

0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Alex,

You need to "Open Site Recovery"

From the vSphere Replication 8.1 Docs: Site Recovery Client Plug-In

and then "New Site Pair"

and add the PSC address of the other site.

you will then see a Pair of sites and you will be able to configure VM's for replication.

Configure vSphere Replication Connections

Replicating Virtual Machines

Please let us know if this has fixed your issues.

alex_vsphere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello.

I will have a look.

I get back to you!

Thank you for your comments!

0 Kudos
alex_vsphere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello.

I have managed to create the PAIR. The issue I am having now is that the replication wizard won"t start.

I see the window for the replication pop-ing up, but it disappears.

Has anyone experienced this?

Best regards!

0 Kudos
alex_vsphere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You would not believe it. It was the pop-up blocker in the browser.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos