VMware Cloud Community
yarecki
Contributor
Contributor

Identify VC server after DC move

I inherited an ESX environment after the hardware was moved into another DC since the old one was shutting down. By trial and error I found an ESX5.5 box. Since I was given a file witch a banch of passwords I matched one to get root access to the console which is ssh enabled. I installed the client on one of my 2012R2 servers and are able to connect to the ESX box via the client. On logon it reports that it's reporting to a VC server with a given IP yet I can't communicate with that IP. I also found one domain controller in the environment and looking through it's DNS entries I'm searching for that VC server but can't seem to find it. Would there be anything characteristic I could notice perhaps in the traffic it sends around if broadcast to spot it's location if for some reason it's IP got changed?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yarecki
Contributor
Contributor

Interestingly I managed to find it under a different IP. I had to reset the administrator password via the appliance console. Trouble is now I can't get to Vcenter web client using the generated password to change it to something more convenient. Is there other way? I can access it vie vSphere client but can't find an option to change it.

0 Kudos