VMware Cloud Community
mathewdsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ISCSI move to new host

Hi Guys. Newbie here. I have a Buffalo Terastation that I wish to use as an iSCSI storage and put a datastore on it. My question is, if I build VMs on this datastore, will I then be able to power off the ESXi host and the storage and take the storage unit to another building and remount it on a different ESX host without losing the datastore? Thanks very much guys.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work. Assuming that you've cleanly shut down (not suspended) the VMs. It's not much different from moving a "normal" file server.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work. Assuming that you've cleanly shut down (not suspended) the VMs. It's not much different from moving a "normal" file server.

André

berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

just be sure that both esxi can manage the vmfs-version the datastore is formatted with

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area since your question is not about any specific vCenter branded product.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mathewdsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks very much. It will be a while before I can try it but thanks. It makes me feel more comfortable mentally.

0 Kudos