VMware Cloud Community
MrNoFear
Contributor
Contributor

I need some advice and recommendations on how I should process with my build.

I have not figured out which version of vmware I'm going to use. But lean towards VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit, just because of the setup am I going to use. I have 3 host with 2 CPU and 16TB of HD space on each one 2 of the host will be at our main building and the last host at a DR site. Can I start my build with the first 2 host get them up and running with Vcenter  and then add the 3rd host later make it a stretch cluster between two different subnets? " 192.168.10.1 at the main and 192.168.20.1 at the DR site. Should I share all 3 host storage or make them each host have it's owe storage unit? Lastly, is the replication software that come with the VMware any good or should I use Nakivo backup and replication. I appreciate and advice I can get. Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are safe:

I have not figured out which version of vmware I'm going to use.
- Try using vSphere 6.7 U3 or later since you will be getting more years of support.

But lean towards VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit, just because of the setup am I going to use.

- that's the licensing, but it is okay.

I have 3 host with 2 CPU and 16TB of HD space on each one 2 of the host will be at our main building and the last host at a DR site. Can I start my build with the first 2 host get them up and running with Vcenter  and then add the 3rd host later make it a stretch cluster between two different subnets? " 192.168.10.1 at the main and 192.168.20.1 at the DR site. Should I share all 3 host storage or make them each host have it's owe storage unit?

- I have a few questions here:
What storage are you planning to use?

If you are planning on using vSAN a 3 host stretched cluster (2 at main site 1 at DR) is not possible since you will need 3 site.
Does your storage support metro/stretched clusters?
Have you checked if your hardware is supported on VMware HCL​?
What is the distance between your main and DR site?
How are your main and DR sites connected?

Lastly, is the replication software that come with the VMware any good or should I use Nakivo backup and replication. I appreciate and advice I can get. Thank you.

It is good, if you need to buy any backup and replication software I'd go with veeam.

0 Kudos
MrNoFear
Contributor
Contributor

Hello nachogonzalez,

Thank you for getting back to me with my questions. Yes I going to use version 7, I still try to find what version of vmware I should buy. So far VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit is what I think I might buy. Sorry I wasn't clear on the storage part. No I will not be using vSAN. I was just wonder should I share all three host HD storage or make them individual storage. The second site hasn't been decided yet. It might be Chicago or Miami the latency between to two are Chicago is 78ms and Miami 46ms from test connections. The two site are connected between two SonicWALL firewalls with IP Sec on AT&T fiber.  I'm trying to get some of this up and running at the main build in Stuart.

Stay safe too,

Jason

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

One important thing:
If you are going to use the host's local disks you will lose some of vSphere key features such as vSphere HA or vMotion.
For those, you need to use shared storage.

Else you might try vSphere  Hypervisor free.

0 Kudos
MrNoFear
Contributor
Contributor

Got it. Thx for the info.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

No,  the "free" vSphere Hypervisor isnt the right choice because of locked APIs.   The "cheap" Essentials Kit( the non Plus version) for around 500,-  might be the right one. As mentioned above does the Essential Plus have with HA and vMotion but you cant use it without a shared storage. So the 4500,- might be wasted money.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos