VMware Cloud Community
Calvin_Zhang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't import or attach image file on the VMware vSphere Client

Hello Guys,

Recently, I just setup a trial version of VMware vSphere ESXi version 5.5.0 server for test out the Junos Space products. I had installed the ESXi server on the Sun MicroOS server and deployed two vms from Deploying ova file. Right now, I need to install an image file for a vm on the cvSphere client. I have googled how to import or attach the image files on the vSphere client and it looks very simple. However, I can't find any of that options on my vSphere client. I can't find the Storage under the inventory and can't find the Datastores. All I can find anything that relates to storage is rescan for Datastores. Also, I have made sure that the proper permissions are assigned to the administrator role. If someone can help me to figure out this issue, I will be much appreciated.

Calvin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dineshgoundar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am summing you are connecting to your trail ESXi host directly using vSphere client? And you dont have a vCenter? What's the extension of this image file? If you are directly connecting to the ESXi host and want to attach an ISO to a VM in the host, you can do the following:

1. Open console to the VM --> Select the CD icon with a wrench --> CD/DVD drive 1 --> Connect to ISO image on local disk

This will open a prompt for you to select the ISO file local to the machine you have opened the vSphere client. ISO will be attached as a CD/DVD drive in the guest OS

2. Within vSphere client, select Configuration menu item --> Select Storage under Hardware menu --> select a datastore and upload the ISO to this datastore. Next steps are same as 1 above, but instead of selecting "Connect to ISO image on local disk", use the option "Connect to ISO image on a datastore".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dineshgoundar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am summing you are connecting to your trail ESXi host directly using vSphere client? And you dont have a vCenter? What's the extension of this image file? If you are directly connecting to the ESXi host and want to attach an ISO to a VM in the host, you can do the following:

1. Open console to the VM --> Select the CD icon with a wrench --> CD/DVD drive 1 --> Connect to ISO image on local disk

This will open a prompt for you to select the ISO file local to the machine you have opened the vSphere client. ISO will be attached as a CD/DVD drive in the guest OS

2. Within vSphere client, select Configuration menu item --> Select Storage under Hardware menu --> select a datastore and upload the ISO to this datastore. Next steps are same as 1 above, but instead of selecting "Connect to ISO image on local disk", use the option "Connect to ISO image on a datastore".

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

if I undestood correctly you are trying to attach image files like ISO to the VMs. Are the VMs powered on? Else you can't attach any image files

0 Kudos
Calvin_Zhang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Dineshgoundar, you did answer my question. I am able to upload the img file onto the datastore and select from the drive.

Calvin

0 Kudos
Calvin_Zhang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had powered off the vm during edit settings but my question did get answered.

Calvin

0 Kudos