VMware Cloud Community
stechGI
Contributor
Contributor

I can't extend a volume vsphere UI

I want to extend a volume via the Vcenter console but it does not show the available space before validating FINISH.

In SSH I have an error on the command line "partedUtil getptbl /vmfs/devices/disks/naa." :

Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be. This might mean that another operating system believes the di sk is smaller. Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/disks/naa. appears to be used, you can fix the GPT to use
all of the space (an extra 390619136 blocks) or continue with the current setting?
This will also move the backup table at the end if is is not at the end already.
diskSize (5664038912) AlternateLBA (5273419775) LastUsableLBA (5273419742) NewLastUsableLBA (5664038878)

Can I run the "partedUtil fix Gpt" command in a production environment without risk ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you rescan the storage yet (from the cluster level), i.e. is the expanded LUN size displayed for the device?

André

0 Kudos
stechGI
Contributor
Contributor

I ran a rescan via the vcenter but nothing appears when I want to extend the volume.
When I connect to an ESXI, I see the available disk space informations but I cannot add it. 
See screenshot
0 Kudos
aakibdawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
stechGI
Contributor
Contributor

hi,
Thank you for the link.
As I mentioned before with the ESX screenshot, I cannot extend the volume because the graphic information is not correct.
I have 3 ESX servers.
I noticed that the device name information on the datastores is not the same on an ESX. (see screenshot)
Could the problem be related to this?
If so, how can I fix it?

0 Kudos
aakibdawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The screenshot you provided do not show the full name of the datastore device. I am guessing you see different device name on ESXi 1 and different device name on ESXi 2 and 3. Let me know if i am incorrect.

Make sure on the storage end, all the ESXi hosts are part of the same masking view. 

Rescan the storage on all the hosts.

If you go to the datastore properties (see the screenshot) what do you see as capacity under device details.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello

Run on each ESXI host from the web client Storage -> Rescan Storage.
This should be done on one esxi host at a time, and verify that the task completes (View Task).
Perform this at least 3 times for each ESXi host.

Check again on each ESXI host in Configure > Device Backing if the device shows the new capacity in the details.

Finally follow the VMware KB steps
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1011754?lang=en_US

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
stechGI
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
I made a mistake on the screenshots I provided previous.

It's the datastore on the ESX3 that doesn't have the same name (Local DellEMC Disk).
(DellEMC Serial Attached SCSI Disk) on the ESX1 and ESX2.

I did a rescan on each ESX server and on the Vcenter.
I enclose the screenshots of the 3 servers and the Vcenter.
We can see that the datastore is 2.46TB and that there are 2.64 available.

But I can't extend it.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The disk expansion must be done from one of the ESXi hosts

• Log in directly to one of the ESXi host that has access to the datastore through the GUI (Host Client) using root credentials.
  • Navigate to Storage > Datastores and select the datastore you are trying to expand.
  • Right-click on the datastore and select Increase Capacity. Alternatively, select the Increase capacity button.
  • You should be prompted to select the option:

Expand an existing VMFS datastore extent

Note:  The Expand option is to increase the capacity for the existing device itself.

The device should be shown with its current capacity of 2.46 and its free capacity, which together should reach 2.64.

Select the Device  and increase your size, click Next.

Click Finish. You should now be able to view the datastore expansion as completed

Immediately rescan all hosts by “rescan adapter” and “rescan vmfs” from vCenter.

Immediately rescan all hosts using "rescan adapter" and "rescan vmfs" from vCenter, one host at a time.
Finally re-verify that the Datastore is displayed on all ESXI hosts with its new capacity.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
aakibdawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is quite weird.

Can you try un-mounting the datastore from ESXi 3 and then add it again?

This link should help: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-1B56EF97-F60E-4F21...

0 Kudos
stechGI
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
As I indicated from the beginning, it does not work regardless of the ESX server on which I perform the extend (see screenshots).

These are production servers.

I do not want to create a breakdown in the case of a bad handling.

0 Kudos
stechGI
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
I expected this answer.
I did not perform this intervention because it requires a service interruption.

What I want to avoid.

What do you think of the error with the command line indicated at the beginning of the discussion:
partedUtil getptbl
I saw in some articles that they must be executed:
partedUtil fix Gpt

0 Kudos
stechGI
Contributor
Contributor

no answer ?

0 Kudos