VMware Cloud Community
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HyperV migration to vCenter

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate VMs from HyperV to vCenter but i get stuck at the very beginning.

I launch the standalone tool,

select convert machine

and from the drop select Hyper-V server

Is it in the box "Specify server connection information"  that i add the Hyper-V server name and credentials?

Username: "Administrator"? which is the local Admin for this 2012 server we have Hyper-V installed.

pastedImage_0.png

I have installed the agent on both my local machine and the Windows 2012 server to which i have the Hyper-V running.

I have logged to the server with the Administrator credentials, so i know its not the username password,

i have tried to connect to the Hyper-V via the my laptop and the Server which has the Hyper-V service. but no success.

Can someone help

i don't think its a port issue, like i said i tried running the standalone tool from the machine that has the Hyper-V service enabled, so no ports would be blocking within Hyper-v machine...

error i get is a network issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, I've got this working, tried two things, not sure which one worked, could be a combination

once you launch the Converter tool from the 2012 hyper-V

select Administration --> Connect to another server

I selected the "Connect to a local server"

in the IP Address or name: localhost

Username: my unique admin account, which is a member of domain admins. the Domain admins is a member of the Hyper-V administrator group.

login

the second thing i changed when attempting this for the 100th time

From the Hyper-V 2012 Machine, instead of using the Hyper-V FQDN, IP, i used "Localhost"

pastedImage_1.png

that was it, everything else ran smoothly

thank you for all your help.

Can you please give this a thumbs up if you find this helpful or tag as the correct answer if this also worked for you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WaterLogged
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you trying to connect to the machine your migrating or the host machine? In that screen you have to specify the host machine where the VM is.

0 Kudos
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

trying to connect to the Host Machine from my local machine (from my laptop) i have the converter running on my machine

Just doing some reading and it seems VMware standalone converter doesnt support Hyper-V running on Server 2012.

I'm told i need to convert the disk from VHDX to VHD first. Then migrate?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

convert the disk from VHDX to VHD first

No need to do that.

just set a credential, that username must be a member of the hyper-v administrators group on that server.

Also, check the following points on the path of converting:

1. Time of the client, Hyper-V server and ESXi must be the same

2. Open the required ports (For example 902, 443 for ESXi)  VMware Knowledge Base

3. Temporary stop the antivirus/firewall in the source machine (hyper-v) or check the required network ports before starting migration operation

4. Check the required space on the ESXi datastore before starting migration operation

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Amin,

Thank you for taking a look

the account i'm using is an admin of the 2012 Hyper-V, tested the authentication of this account for something else, works fine.

I have checked the times already, they are Sync

all ports are open in between this subnet

tried to disable the firewall on the Hyper-V

its a new vCenter, that only has a couple of machines on there. not a capacity issue

0 Kudos
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, I've got this working, tried two things, not sure which one worked, could be a combination

once you launch the Converter tool from the 2012 hyper-V

select Administration --> Connect to another server

I selected the "Connect to a local server"

in the IP Address or name: localhost

Username: my unique admin account, which is a member of domain admins. the Domain admins is a member of the Hyper-V administrator group.

login

the second thing i changed when attempting this for the 100th time

From the Hyper-V 2012 Machine, instead of using the Hyper-V FQDN, IP, i used "Localhost"

pastedImage_1.png

that was it, everything else ran smoothly

thank you for all your help.

Can you please give this a thumbs up if you find this helpful or tag as the correct answer if this also worked for you

0 Kudos