VMware Cloud Community
SrVMwarer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How xCopy works

Hello,

Please tell me am I understanding it right or wrong, if wrong kindly correct me..

If we enabled xCopy from VMware side and it is supported by storage Array, and I am willing to clone a VM it is supposed that VMware (The ESXi) will send SCSI command to reserve the region for the new VM space on the storage and the copy operation offloaded to the storage array itself is that right?

If right does that differs when we deal with AllFlashArray meaning will it only copies the metadata of the VM and the actual data will e stored once?

Thanks in Advance

Regards, İlyas
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If we enabled xCopy from VMware side and it is supported by storage Array, and I am willing to clone a VM it is supposed that VMware (The ESXi) will send SCSI command to reserve the region for the new VM space on the storage and the copy operation offloaded to the storage array itself is that right?

Basically, yes.

If right does that differs when we deal with AllFlashArray meaning will it only copies the metadata of the VM and the actual data will e stored once?

It depends on the storage array in use. Some all-flash arrays (AFAs) will simply create a new metadata pointer; some will create a fully block copy.