VMware Cloud Community
affy1392
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to validate two 6.5 VC configuration for production and non production (Quickly)

Hello All,

Early reply would be appreciated, i have to validate the vCenter configuration between prod and non prod to check whether we have any mismatch within it, is there any way where we can validate the configuration quickly or any other way/process to check it all? We have 6.5 vCenter deployed.

12 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The quick answer is, "no". This would depend on what is and what isn't the same (as not all elements will be). So you'd have to script something that checks and compares settings across each.

GayathriS
Expert
Expert

There is a tool called XIA Configuration which can document your entire environment.  It can document and audit VMWare environments, including vCenter, ESX, VMWare Hosts and Virtual Machines.

There is a change tracking feature which allows you to view the history of the changes made to the environment or a particular VM.

There is a free version available for small networks.

Please check

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Unless I'm mistaken, that tool only works via agent for Windows-based vCenter installations.

EDIT: No, it does show the vCSA is supported.

pastedImage_0.png

affy1392
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you, i am just looking to view the configuration of VMware infra setting like VC, PCS, HOST, NETOWRK, CLUSTER, DC etc.. which cover only vSphere component related configuration i was thinking RVTool might can help but not all which i am expecting.

0 Kudos
affy1392
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, but i can not install any third party S/w without licence key. so this is not applicable could you please give me some precise manual process to validate it

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Yes, RV tool will not fullfill all your requirement , each tool has its own pros and corns.

We need to use it and check what all we could achieve out of it .

GayathriS
Expert
Expert

I haven't tried this tool , but however wanted to share if that helps in any ways to achieve .

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Without you telling us what exactly you want to compare and validate between both environments, we can't give you any more specific help.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

I found a link :

https://www.centrel-solutions.com/xiaconfiguration/network-documentation-tool.aspx?referrer=hspost

Check out this and see if that helps you in some ways, As daphnissov  said there is no specific tool as I know you could try all this option and see how best you can make use of it .

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

0 Kudos
affy1392
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Details: Recently build replica vCenter 6.5 in prod and non prod and deployment got completed hence i have to validate do we have replica configuration between them if not what is mismatch configuration.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What does "replica configuration" mean? vCenter has hundreds of configuration components not considering ESXi or anything else. What do you want to compare?

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your question is still not clear. You may want to compare configuration if both environments has same number of ESXI hosts, ESXI Version, vCenter count and version, DVS, Update manager, DNS, SSO, Update manager, same patch level, count of VMs...and more countless configuration.... Which generally no any company follows. 99% all environment are isolated specifically with configuration. So nobody would able to help you unless you clear precisely what you are trying to achieve.

0 Kudos