VMware Cloud Community
TonyLombardo
Contributor
Contributor

How to tell if autostarted windows services are up and running

Hi folks, first time poster here.

We just upgraded our ESXi VMs from 6.7 to 7.0. After completing I was trying to find a way to confirm that auto-started windows services are in fact running. Short of logging into each VM individually I couldn't see how. There must be a better way (I hope).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that may help.

-Tony

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

PowerShell?

It’s not really a VMware “thing” unless you could find out by calling an in-guest script via VMware Tools (assuming it is running)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
TonyLombardo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply @scott28tt - yes PowerShell and Power CLI were the first thing that came to mind. Alas, my PowerShell environment is virgin and hasn't been set up for the task. I started and tried to connect to a VM, and got all kinds of warnings about "Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -Scope User -ParticipateInCEIP $true or $false" and so on.

I thought about messing with it another day but maybe I will take another look.

Thanks again,

-Tony

0 Kudos
CLINZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not really vmware solution but we've implemented Grafana and Influxdb (all free) and i've used a basic "config template" to pull service metrics from VM's critical VM's etc. This includes autostart windows services. It will involve a little bit of work but is well worth the time investment in my opinion - you can create dashboards to allow for an overview of the health of the environment as well as create alerts which can be email, slack etc to notify you when a service has stopped or any other metric for that matter including, cpu disk etc. We use it quite a lot for SQL instances, mid tier applications, AIX even down to DC environmental monitoring.

Below is a quick screen grab of just a part of the dashboard we created (unfortunately the rest has server names etc so can't be shared)

CLINZ_0-1658214364698.png

Again this isn't really a vmware solution but it does solve the "quick view of whats up" problem we had where we had a team of people checking services each morning. This is live and should a service go down the status changes in real time which is handy as previous attempts relied on a scheduled email of status which although useful in some ways was very limited in being responsive outside of the scheduled email time.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos