VMware Cloud Community
WhackyWakie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to stop a running (hung) export task from ESXi?

Got a lab PC setup with Esxi 6.7 u3 which I test vSphere implementation, nested setup.

I tried to export a ESX6.7 nested VM, but the task stuck at 50%. Is there way to stop it?

I find "esxcli vm process kill" can be used to kill process, but how to find that process?

I also tried to export to ovf from a vcenter lab (nested) in the lab PC above, via selecting the VM | Template | Export OVF template. It just stop at 0%.

Find this tool "Open Virtualization Format Tool (ovftool) 4.4.0", have not tested it out. But it look like the preferred method to export and import VM or vApp..  Is it true?

Thanks!

Damn, just found just need to click on the X or Stop icon, depend on the client...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Hi ,You can find the  process with below command

ps | grep vmname

Kill the parent process by running the command kill process_id

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

you can log in via ssh to the host and restart management agents using services restart.sh

0 Kudos
WhackyWakie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.. it was my mistake. As updated first post, did not realize the icon "Stop" or "cross" depend on the client is used to stop task.

Anyway, found that ovftool worked, export via web client some time stuck. As in Vmware article, any thing above 1GB need to use ovftool.

I guess that the limitation of webclient.. likely that is the reason OVA format support are lacking in the webclient and vmware Workstation 15 (no idea about other version).

0 Kudos
WhackyWakie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.. found my mistake. I need more time with the webclient.:smileyblush:

0 Kudos
bklyngaucho
Contributor
Contributor

minor correction:  services.sh restart

0 Kudos