VMware Cloud Community
RDzz
Contributor
Contributor

How to reclaim/get back Server drive space?

Hi, I have a question and please help.

We have a Server 2019 VM in the VMware production environment. Few days ago, I increased D drive space and add 1 TB through VM Hardware settings in VCenter. This results in total of 1.5 TB on D drive.

Now the situation is that 1 TB space is not required anymore. To get back 1 TB, I have tried to shrink 1 TB space from D drive leaving 500 GB for D drive. I cannot delete D drive as other Applications are having data on it.

D drive is Thin Provisioned and Checking through VMWare ESXi, I can see that D drive space is 500 GB however vmdk is still showing 1.5 TB.

Now the question is:
How to get back 1 TB space back in VMware Datastore in VCenter? What are the steps.

Please let me know if you need more information.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for matters related to vSphere VM administration.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos