VMware Cloud Community
APSteve
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to move a vmdk that is somewhat orphaned

Using VMware vSphere 6.5.  I uploaded a vmdk file for a prebuilt appliance, running on CentOS 7.  Put the file in my ISO folder.

Then I created a VM, and attached a new hard drive from existing, and pointed to the vmdk file in the ISO folder.  Started the VM, everything works well.   Except...

Now I have a folder named 'appliance01', with all the usual files in it, except the vmdk file.

Is it possible to relocate the vmdk file from the ISO folder to the 'appliance01' folder to clean things up, and if so, how?

I tried turning off the vm, copying the vmdk into the 'appliance01' folder, deleting the original HD, and adding an existing disk pointing to the copy.  It brought up the boot screen, and attempted, but would not start.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's the current state regarding the virtual disk files, i.e. do you still have the original ones in the ISO folder?

How did you copy the .vmdk files? did you check whether the copied files had the same size as the sources?

Are you familiar with the ESXi host's command line?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
imacfj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you tried storage vMotioning the VM?

0 Kudos
APSteve
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We only have essentials, so cannot vmotion... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's the current state regarding the virtual disk files, i.e. do you still have the original ones in the ISO folder?

How did you copy the .vmdk files? did you check whether the copied files had the same size as the sources?

Are you familiar with the ESXi host's command line?

André

0 Kudos
APSteve
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The only original file was the vmdk that I downloaded, which has changed as the vm is running currently.  I do have a copy of the vmdk before it was attached to the VM.

When I attempted to move the file, using vSphere web client, selected the file in datastore-ISO, copied and pasted into datastore-appliance01.  No, I did not check the file sizes.

I can do minimal tasks in the cl.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry that I wasn't clear with my question, what I actually meant was: " ... the WORKING ones ...".

Anyway, since you said that the copy didn't work, I assume that the VM is currently running from the .vmdk files in the ISO folder.

To be able to give you proper instructions on how do the desired "cleanup", please download the vmware.log file from the VM's folder and attach it to a reply post.

André

PS: One more quick question. How much free disk sapse do you currently have on the datastore?

0 Kudos
APSteve
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your comment about whether the copy was successful got me thinking, so I tried again, and this time it was successful. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos