VMware Cloud Community
gsingh12
Contributor
Contributor

How to move Appliance VM from one EsXI infra to Another ESXI

Dear All,

I have SMG Appliance running on ESXI host version 6. Now We have i new Infrastructure with ESXI6.5 and Vcenter Appliance 6.5

All Applications we have migrated in new Infra

Now We need to migrate an SMG Appliance , this is our Email Smart host

Apart from migration we will be changing the Network aspects of this VM as well, we will move the VM in new DMZ network

Now Following is my Approach

Approach 1.

1.Shutdown the applaince

2. EXPORT as OVF template

3. IMPORT the OVF Template on the new host

Approach 2:

Backup the SMG appliance using Backup Exec 16

Shutdown the source

Restore it on destination HOST

I have never done this before. My questions is will it import all the configuration of the SMG appliance from source to destination like ip addres ,hostname and all

Or there is better way of doing this

Thanks in advance for you kind support!!!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Is the appliance (VM) running on an ESXi host which is managed by the same vCenter as your new vCenter 6.5?

0 Kudos
gsingh12
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, its just one ESXI host, its not part of Same Vcenter

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to temporarily join that host to the vCenter 6.5?

0 Kudos
gsingh12
Contributor
Contributor

I was also thinking in same line will check and will update, but if  this is not possible then export and import of ovf or restoring from backup will be an option

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There are some other possibilities, but you haven't said much about your source ESXi host. For example, if that host is using external, shared storage, then it may be possible to present that same storage to the destination ESXi hosts and move the VM via a re-register action.

0 Kudos
gsingh12
Contributor
Contributor

As far as i know its not shared storage,its local storage

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

In that case you can either backup/restore, or join to vCenter 6.5 and migrate it from there (depending on license capabilities, connectivity, and other factors).

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Can 't you add esxi 6.0 host to the latest vcenter6.5 and then start vmotion(memory and storage )of appliance vm to new esxi 6.5 host.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos