VMware Cloud Community
rightclix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to launch VMRC on ESXi 5.5?

Hello all,

I have esxi 5.5 installed on my server but I'm having a nightmare using the vSphere Client due to VMware tools not working properly (that's another topic) so I want to use VMRC instead. I've downloaded and installed it but can't launch it?  Please can someone assist.

This is only a temp measure until I've configured my OS on to the domain so I can RDP on to it.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMRC can be a standalone application and functions as browser-plugin as well. That is why you can enter the vmrc URI on the browser address bar to get to a VM.

As it is a standalone application the same vmrc address schem can also be used from the command line.

To find out the moid of the VM you want to view, one of the ways is go to the ESXi shell

vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

And you should see a "Vmid" column and that would be the moid of the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well, apart from that 5.5 is EOL, the VMRC as you said it's the normal access in the Thick client (a.k.a. vSphere C# client).

Which problem are you facing? Any error shown when opening the console?

VMRC version?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Go to the a web browser

vmrc://<ESXi FQDN or IP>/?moid=<VM moid>

rightclix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi dbalcaraz,

Yes I installed it  due to incompatibility with my current hardware. I plan to upgrade it as soon as I sort the current issue out.

I might be wrong in my thinking but is vmrc a sand alone app like VSphere or integrated in to VSphere client?

The problem I'm facing is getting my vm to open in vmrc as I don't know how to. There are no errors because I don't know how to get to it in the first place if that makes sense.

Apologies I'm not an expert in VMware.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMRC can be a standalone application and functions as browser-plugin as well. That is why you can enter the vmrc URI on the browser address bar to get to a VM.

As it is a standalone application the same vmrc address schem can also be used from the command line.

To find out the moid of the VM you want to view, one of the ways is go to the ESXi shell

vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

And you should see a "Vmid" column and that would be the moid of the VM.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, VMRC is a standalone app but once installed you should be able to use it as bluefirestorm says.

Try the Web Console or re-install the VMRC program.

So, when you open a console you don't get any error? Do you have the latest VMRC?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos