VMware Cloud Community
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to find which ESXi host that a NFS datastore is currently mounted on?

The NFS datastore can be mounted on multiple hosts, but only one host a NFS datastore can reside on, based on my understanding. How do I find this host, either by vSphere client GUI or PowerCLI?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sure.. as always

- On that Host you have the VM registred first or created

- If its already there.... use "Migrate" to select another computing ressource. If you havent license vMotion you need to shutdown the VM first and than select "Migrate" within vCenter

- When licensing for DRS you can setup rules to pin VMs to Hosts if needed. When DRS is set up manual mode each time you start a VM the DRS will ask you on which Host you wanna run the VM

Regards

Joerg

View solution in original post

13 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no such thing as a single owner of an NFS datastore. Each host mounts it directly and not through a proxy.

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Then I didn't phrase my question right. I am asking which host is NFS datatore currently running on?

I would think only one host that NFS datastore is running on. right?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have three hosts and all three hosts can access the same NFS datastore, each host is separately mounting that datastore and unreliant upon any other hosts for its access.

0 Kudos
DylanEps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In vSphere client you should go todo the desired NFS datastore, and then you select "hosts".

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

by doing this, it will list all hosts currently the NFS datastore resides on.

But, this is not what i am asking for. I am asking which hosts currently the NFS datastore is running on?

I might miss something, I though there should be only one host.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I might miss something, I though there should be only one host.

As I have tried explaining to you, this isn't correct. Please re-read my previous message.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi vwmagic,

Sorry just trying to clarify what is being asked here so apologies in advance for going over old ground.

The

As you and others have said, the NFS volume can be mounted on multiple hosts so its not one host that owns the NFS datastore from a mounting perspective.

I think what you are trying to ask is what VM/host is the datastore/disk coming from, i.e. the NAS server hosting the volume. Does this sound right or have I misunderstood the question? If so, then from the Datastore tab within the vSphere client you can see the mounted path under the device column:

3454841E-2E83-4950-9048-12B943A22FCD.jpeg

In the above you can see that “My NFS Datastore” is being provided by “192.168.5.102:NFS_folder” - again sorry if this was obvious and not what was being asked Smiley Happy

This can also be easily retrieved by PowerCLI.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From all your messages, and my own research, I am starting to recognize that different VM's on the datastore could be running on any hosts in the list of mounting hosts, because if I go to Summary tab from each one of VM's (total of 4), then it will show me which host, in addition to what OS, or VMware tool as such.

Am I right, each vm in the datastore could be running on different hosts?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes youre right about that. The VMs can run on any host which have the NFS shrare mounted.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes vms on any host can use the datastore if its mounts to all of them, which is normal. Look at the section in the below artile on file locking, as esxi hosts lock the files they need to other hosts can't access the same ones.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmware-nfs-bestpractices...

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great, Thanks!

Are there any way we can control which VM should run on which host?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sure.. as always

- On that Host you have the VM registred first or created

- If its already there.... use "Migrate" to select another computing ressource. If you havent license vMotion you need to shutdown the VM first and than select "Migrate" within vCenter

- When licensing for DRS you can setup rules to pin VMs to Hosts if needed. When DRS is set up manual mode each time you start a VM the DRS will ask you on which Host you wanna run the VM

Regards

Joerg

vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all!

0 Kudos