VMware Cloud Community
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to enable iSCSI hardware Adapter

Hello All,

I have an HP DL-390 server, with an HPE Eth 10/25Gb 2p 631SFP28. I want to use this adapter for Dependent iSCSI connection

to a Dell-EMC 400F storage appliance. The HP server has an ESXi 6.7 host installed on it. The ESXi networking shows all the NICs in the server, including the 10/25Gb NIC, two ports. I want to configure those NICs as VMware Dependent iSCSI initiators. So far I have been unable to do so.

I checked to see if I need a Qlogic driver for the NIC to enable the iSCSI on the hardware in vmware - but the zip file will not install on the Host using this: esxcli software component apply /tmp/thezipfile.zip - it gives me a namespace error.  Is it possible to configure the hardware nic to use iSCSI?

I can confiure a software iSCSI adapter with no problem.

Am I missing something here? I did find a site where several drivers are shown for various versions of Esxi

Do I need to set the acceptance level to community?

Any tips will help,

Thanks for great forum,

Oliver_G

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Does the adapter show up under "Storage Adapters"? If yes, then what you need to do in order to use them for hardware iSCSI is to configure them depending on whether it's a dependent, or independent iSCSI adapter model (see Configuring iSCSI Adapters and Storage). I'm not 100% sure about the model you mentiond, but I'd assume it's used as a dependent iSCSI adapter.

Regarding "esxcli software component apply", that's only available in ESXi 7.0.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@oliver_g 

Moderator: Moved to ESXi Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, was not sure where to post this - I will be more careful in future

Ollie_g

0 Kudos
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello a_p_,

Thanks for information. I was hoping I could configure the adapter for dependent iSCSI - I guess not. As you can see from this image, I can configure no parameters for iSCSI : I have the vmhba67 selected, but the configure option is grayed out. Therefore I cannot configure that adapter.

oliver_g_0-1606256202328.png

But if I add a s/w iSCSI adapter - I can - here the adapter shows as vmhba68. you will notice that I can configure this adapter for iSCSI.

oliver_g_1-1606256428040.png

What is funny (at least to me) our storage appliance detects all four adapters - 2 for FCoE, and 2 for iSCSI.

We can use the software adapter to access the storage.

I may be missing something here - thanks for the reply.

Oliver_G

0 Kudos