VMware Cloud Community
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to change the IP of my NFS Datastore by using vSphere Client 6.5

I need to change the IP of a NFS Datastore, or the IP of the NFS server by using vSphere GUI, not ESXi command line

What steps do I have to go through? 

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do it without any downtime. Just add your NFS datastore with another IP and do storage vMotion.

In this scenario, a new folder will be automatically created in your NFS datastore with a new name (it will add _1 at the end of your VM folder name)

If you can power off your VMs and re-register them into your environment from the new datastore, you can just save some more time (less headache!), but storage vMotion is another way

Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please consider your VMs reference the NFS datastore by its UID, and the UUID is created by generating a hash by using the “server name” and the name of the folder you specify in the “add NFS datastore”

So if you want to change your NFS IP address, you have some options:

- If you add your NFS datastore base on DNS name, just change the DNS record related to the NFS connection

- If you add your NFS datastore by using an IP address, you need to unmount and mount again from GUI

- If your NFS storage supports an additional IP address, you can add another IP to your storage and create a new datastore by using the new IP address and unregister re-register your VMs

I hope this could be helpful

Cheers

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Very helpful!

as for your last option, instead of unregistering and then reregistering, can I perform storage vMotion to migrate the VMs from the old Datastore with old IP to the new created and mounted datastore with the new IP? That’d be non disruptive.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe not, your new datastore with the new IP is the same datastore with the current IP, so storage vMotion is not an option.

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I may miss something here.

If current datastore A is mounted via IP A, I am going to create a new datastore B which will be mounted via IP B, then these are two different datastores and mounted via  two different IP’s, why couldn’t I storage vMotion VMs from A to B?

please tell me what I missed. Thank you!

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can somebody please confirm that I can use storage vMotion to change IP in my case?

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do it without any downtime. Just add your NFS datastore with another IP and do storage vMotion.

In this scenario, a new folder will be automatically created in your NFS datastore with a new name (it will add _1 at the end of your VM folder name)

If you can power off your VMs and re-register them into your environment from the new datastore, you can just save some more time (less headache!), but storage vMotion is another way

Cheers

0 Kudos