VMware Cloud Community
vecon
Contributor
Contributor

How to back up regular VM using VMware?

I heard we can backup VMs on regular basis (scheduled job) using Vmware to a external storage (e.g. SAN)?

Is that true? How can I do it? Can someone help? Is there any additional things else I need in order to get it done (.e.g additional license, software, etc.)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Depends on your vSphere License you maybe aldready have VMware VDP, but i have read that it goes end of life in the near future.

Otherwise

• Veeam B&R
  • Nakivo
  • HPE (Previously Trilead) VM Explorer (IIRC they sold it again)
  • Altaro VM Backup
  • Veritas BackupExec
  • and countless other like Avamar,Comvault, NetBackup

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi vecon,

VMware themselves have a product called vSphere Data Protection however it is going EoL so I'd probably not consider this: vSphere Data Protection & Recovery | VMware | LATAM

They (VMware) are recommending using Avamar Virtual Edition which is an EMC product however there is a multitude of other options in this arena. I know a lot of the people here use Veeam but I'm not making a statement here about one product over another.

With all of them there will be licensing considerations so I will take a browse on the web to see what appeals to you. All can land the data external to your environment and some even include things like replication/deduplication/compression. Take a look around but start with the two products mentioned here so you can get a feel for the landscape.

Most offer a trial so you can even take them for a test drive Smiley Happy

Kind regards.

0 Kudos