VMware Cloud Community
Yikes1232011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to add new vmware tools into vsphere

in Vsphere appliance, the vm's say the vmtools are up to date (10.3).  But I want to push out vmware tools 11.x with the new security.  How do I get vSphere to see/download vmware tools 11.x?

Running 6.7.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

the vmtools-iso are stored on the hosts. so update the host to the current build and the 11.x-tools are offered

0 Kudos
Yikes1232011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am on 6.7 and am not hoping to do a major esxi upgrade.  Is there another way of getting the tools in?

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

keeping the hosts up to date is no major upgrade - thats only patching. the hosts stay on 6.7, but with the latest patches. and the vmware-tools are one part of the patches.

but please patch the vcenter first

0 Kudos
Yikes1232011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just checked the Appliance Manager and it has no available updates.  Is there another way of getting vmtools 11.x?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Info and a download link here: VMware Tools 11.0.0 Release Notes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
Yikes1232011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, I see the tools there, but how do I get them on the esxi server so I can push it out from vcenter?  You can see that the "current" version is 10.3, so how do I get 11.x to be on the esxi server so it can be pushed from vcenter?

thanks. tools.PNG

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

if you want to provide the actual tools without patching the hosts before you must put the tools on shared storage (same procedure for autodeployed hosts) :https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004018

VMware Knowledge Base

therefor you must download the tools here: Download VMware vSphere

then put the extracted tools to a folder in the shared folder, go to the hosts advanced setting and set "UserVars.ProductLockerLocation" to this location

0 Kudos