VMware Cloud Community
JFHA
Contributor
Contributor

How to Create/Assign multiple Networks to ESXi?

Hey guys,

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I have a server with 2 NICs, I NIC 1 is connected to one VLAN and NIC 2 to another VLAN.

I need to create Virtual Machines in each of those VLANS, how can I do that?

I tried creating multiple vSwitches (1 per NIC) and a Network for each vSwitch, but when I try to create a VM it only shows me 1 Network for the Network interface.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With that setup, if you want any VM to be part of both VLANs you would multi-home the VM - add a second network adapter to the VM and have each of the 2 network adapters connected to the individual port groups of the 2 vSwitches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JFHA
Contributor
Contributor

No, I don't want a VM to be part of both Networks, I need different VMs to be part of different Networks, for example VM1=>Net1, VM2=>Net2, etc.

But so far I can only see 1 Network, not all of them, Right now I have reset the ESXi box to factory settings, so it's like brand new, so can somebody tell me how can I accomplish this?

Recap:

I have a server with 2 NICs connected to 2 different VLANS, what do I need to do to configure ESXi so I can choose any of these NICs when creating it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JFHA
Contributor
Contributor

FYI

I "renamed" the Default network (VM Network) and it also stopped showing up, now I can't see any networks when creating a new VM.

​Note:​ The VMs column says N/A for all of them.

This is getting frustrating.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So you will need multiple port groups, either in a single vSwitch if the networks can share your physical NIC ports (uplinks) or in separate vSwitches of they need dedicated physical NIC ports.

A port group is a child object of a vSwitch, but as above there isn’t necessarily a 1:1 relationship.

Each virtual NIC that you have in any VM is set to connect to a port group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Rajhere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello  JFHA

Welcome to community,

We understand your concern,  your setup is pretty straight forward. you have 2 nics and you are going to create 2 vmk - portgroups on 2 switches or this can be achieved on 1 switch as well.

in general the setup looks like this : Physical NICs (VMNIC) -> vSwitch -> Portgroups -> vNICS ( for VMS)

hope this helps..

0 Kudos