VMware Cloud Community
Th3RadMan
Contributor
Contributor

How much lag should I be experiencing with esxi

I recently entered the vm world and I'm messing with a few different things.  One thing I noticed across the board is how laggy the esxi web interface is with the guest os.  Every different config I have tried has ended with the same results.  I have tried windows 10, server 2016, ubuntu, multiple core/socket configs, ram sizes, cpu power managment, etc.  Even with one vm running, there is always quite a bit of choppiness.  This might just be a natural occurrence because I am trying to work with an os across my network, but it still seems like a bit much.  Just opening the start menu on windows it is very obviously divided out into a few frames and it is even more noticeable when moving windows around, same with ubuntu.  It is very frustrating to work with and everything I've tried hasn't helped.  I bet it is probably one setting that needs to be changed, but I don't know which one.

Any ideas?

Specs:

ESXI 6.7

2X xeon 2670

Asus Z9PA-D8

128gb ddr3 ecc ram

norco 4224 chassis

intel X550-T2 NIC

Intel RES2SV240

LSI 9240-8i (flahed to 9211-8i it mode)

6 8TB WD white hdd's

6 10TB WD white hdd's

3 Samsung ssd's

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Do you have VMware tools installed on the VMs?

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Make sure you have the latest VMTools 10.3.2 on each GOS, the one that comes packaged with the ESXi may be the dreaded 10.3.0.buggy one.

As soon as I get my VMs up, I throw on VNC Server on each GOS so I can avoid the Console from the client all together. VNC has a super small footprint and is as fast as it gets for console use.

0 Kudos