VMware Cloud Community
MICDROP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I "Power on" the ESXi host ?

Hi, All.

vCenter has an ESXi Host Power on button, but I can't actually turn on Host.

Can I power on the ESXi host through vCenter, whether through a forced shutdown from a server, or when the ESXi host is powered off through vCenter?

If I need to manually power on, or power on via iLO, iDRAC, etc., why is the Power on button on the ESXi Host in vCenter?

THANK YOU FOR ADVICE !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

To get that function working you have to configure host-> configuration-> System -> Power Management (or similar).  There are 2 Power Management related option sets. Iam not talking about the Power Policy thing so just scroll down.

Within this option you have to specify the User/Pass and IP/MAC of your iDRAC/iLO.  If you configure it right the vCenter can use WOL to power up the Host again.  Thats why there is a "Sleep Mode" option in the Power menu. It works with every vSphere Edition (Essentials included)

This features works together with DPM (Distributed Power Management which requires Enterprise Plus) when vCenter evacuate VMs from a host to place it into sleep mode because current workload doesnt need that all hosts are online. If workload change and more host power is needed vCenter power up the hosts again.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

To get that function working you have to configure host-> configuration-> System -> Power Management (or similar).  There are 2 Power Management related option sets. Iam not talking about the Power Policy thing so just scroll down.

Within this option you have to specify the User/Pass and IP/MAC of your iDRAC/iLO.  If you configure it right the vCenter can use WOL to power up the Host again.  Thats why there is a "Sleep Mode" option in the Power menu. It works with every vSphere Edition (Essentials included)

This features works together with DPM (Distributed Power Management which requires Enterprise Plus) when vCenter evacuate VMs from a host to place it into sleep mode because current workload doesnt need that all hosts are online. If workload change and more host power is needed vCenter power up the hosts again.

Regards,
Joerg

Sukanyad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can power on from the vcenter ,Below is the screenshot :

0 Kudos
Sukanyad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Kindly find the screenshot :

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
MICDROP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you sooooooooo much : )

0 Kudos
MICDROP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your kind explanation. : )

0 Kudos