VMware Cloud Community
mdrankin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I rename files in the datasore with vSphere 6.5 web client???

How do I rename a file when browsing the datastore with vSphere 6.5 web client???

I read an article which said to click on the rename icon, however there is no such icon as far as I can tell. I'm using Chrome, but have also tried using Edge and get the same result. DO I have to do it by using an SSH connection to the server? I've included 2 screen shots. The first one is what I see when left clicking on the file. The second one is what I see when right clicking on the file.

I am logged in as 'root' so I don't think I can give myself any further permissions.

2018-01-20 22_23_10-CRDS01 - VMware ESXi - 1.png

2018-01-20 22_24_40-CRDS01 - VMware ESXi - 2.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are logged in to the embedded host client where there is no rename option for files. The article was probably referring to the vSphere Web Client (which comes as part of vCenter Server). If you don't have vCenter, you'll need to use CLI to rename those files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are logged in to the embedded host client where there is no rename option for files. The article was probably referring to the vSphere Web Client (which comes as part of vCenter Server). If you don't have vCenter, you'll need to use CLI to rename those files.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

see below video for Renaming a Virtual Machine and Virtual Machine Files in vSphere 6.

This link gives more detail and other methods- Renaming a Virtual Machine and Virtual Machine Files in vSphere 6 - YouTube

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ranchuab​ the OP isn't using vCenter but ESXi standalone according to screenshots. The video you shared is exclusively for vCenter procedures.

0 Kudos
mdrankin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes SSH is the only way to do it. Will stick to 6.0 in future to save me time.

0 Kudos