VMware Cloud Community
LVSBarrett
Contributor
Contributor

Hostd Config.xml customziation with Auto-Deploy

Good day all,

I am looking for a way to automatically change the Hostd/config.xml file to default to INFO level logging rather than verbose to reduce the number of logs we are sending the Splunk.

We are running Vmware ESXi 6.5 (Build 10719125) with Auto-Deploy, so every time a host gets rebooted, I have to change the setting in the config.xml file and restart the management services.  This disconnects the host from vcenter and affects our clients that use Vcloud Director, and I would only be able to do this during major maintenance windows.  We have about 75 hosts, and I'd like to be able to set it and forget it.

File:  /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml

Section:

<!-- default log level -->

<level>info</level>               (I want to add this line).

I have tried looking through the Host Profile to see if the setting is there (it's not; I see the VPXA setting, but not the HOSTD), and I have even extracted the image profile and looked through a few VIBs, but can't find that file is coming from.

I had to do this to change the RHTTPProxy config.xml file, but a restart of the syslog services doesn't affect the host-vcenter connection, so that was easy to script.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Aaron B

1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'd probably open an SR on this to get an official procedure (if one exists), although I've not heard of this done with Auto Deploy in the picture.