VMware Cloud Community
robdrucker
Contributor
Contributor

Host Hardware system board status

environment

Brand new vmware ESXI 6.7.0.8169922

vsphere 6.7.0.1150 Build 9433921

I keep getting a message Host Hardware system board status. I have acknowledge and even reset to green but the error keeps coming back.

Dell is reporting no errors on the server and if we log into the esxi server directly there are no errors

Any ideas?

22 Replies
dgingeri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get the same thing from my Cisco UCS units at work.  I've resigned to just ignoring that alert because I couldn't find any fix. 

JoeAlonge
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. I installed the latest version of Openmanage from here Dell EMC OpenManage Server Administrator vSphere Installation Bundle (VIB) for ESXi 6.7i, v9.1.1 | D...  and rebooted and everything cleared out.

0 Kudos
robdrucker
Contributor
Contributor

I used a later build of the Dell esxi 6.7 build and that seemed to have resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
nileshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Run hardware diagnostic on you Dell server to make sure everything is fine with the hardware. Thanks!

0 Kudos
joevancil
Contributor
Contributor

For those of you with this problem on Cisco UCS blades, just clear the SEL Log on the blade, and the warning will disappear.

To do that, after signing in to the Cisco UCS Manager:

• Go to the Equipment tab and expand it
  • Expand the Chassis subheading
  • Expand the appropriate Chassis #
  • Expand Servers
  • Select the appropriate Server #
  • With the appropriate Server # highlighted, select the SEL Logs tab along the top
  • Click on the Clear button at the bottom of the page

I suspect the process will be somewhat similar for those on different hardware platforms;  the SEL Log will be cleared somewhere within your iLo / DRAC / CMC.

Nuclearmonkee
Contributor
Contributor

I've had this annoying false positive for ages on multiple chassis with no resolution. Fixed every single one of them.

0 Kudos
Elboph
Contributor
Contributor

I had this error show up from out of no where on a 1 host out of 22. This fix worked for me.

0 Kudos
Mostafas_Salama
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! this fixed my issue, I have Cisco blades

0 Kudos
PHealth
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you and we use this to clear other issues as well.

0 Kudos
BattleNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This solved my issue too, I was on v6.5.0 Update 3 Patch 03, I just went and updated 6 hosts did some reboots, and this popped up on 1 of my UCS blades. Clearing SEL worked, but I've had this up for almost 2 years and have NEVER seen this..... why am I just now getting that alert today? I looked at our other 7 blades, and all had similar entries in SEL log (normal events) so not sure why clearing it for this 1 blade solved it.... Yet the other blades have never received this alert.....

This was a awesome find, didn't think I would find a article so quickly to resolve this Smiley Happy

UPDATE: I looked at UCS Manager, and noticed that nothing showed up in UCS Manager, when I looked at the UCS plugin inside of VMWare, I noticed the following: Log capacity on Management Controller on server 2/2 is very-low

I think this was what caused it, not sure if this helps anyone else but that looks to have been my issue.

paulcra
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this!

I was encountering this error after performing a Server FW upgrade on our UCS blades and your steps resolved it.

0 Kudos
ahandoo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try clearing system event logs (SEL Logs) from Dell management console and check

0 Kudos
premnathbangar
Contributor
Contributor

Clearing system event logs (SEL Logs) is temporary solution. I required permanent solution. 

0 Kudos
VD91
Contributor
Contributor

This Tip resolved the issue , Thanks !!

0 Kudos
mnymike123
Contributor
Contributor

This fix seems to resove the issue. Tried it on our CIsco UCS B200 M3's and fixed the issue right up.

0 Kudos
pari2k3
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Below article helps for the alert

This is because the System event log is full, this has no impact on the corresponding blade, it’s just that new logs are not being logged because it is full.

How to clear the logs:

• Within CIMC navigate to the Blade Service Profile
  • On the “General” tab select the “Associated Server” link (Equipment)
  • Now select the tab “SEL Logs”
  • At the right bottom corner click the “Clear” button

https://vstack.it/2019/11/11/critical-host-hardware-system-board-status/

S1Ali
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome thank you so much. Worked like a charm 🙂

0 Kudos
S1Ali
Contributor
Contributor

I found from UCS manager that SEL log space was low. Cleared it as per one of the upper posts and done !

0 Kudos
Shaukatmahmood
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I think it's because the log was full, I cross-verified with other hosts but could not see the last entry in other servers stating (| SEL Full | Asserted ). 

as long as I cleared the log the alert from the v-Center console is gone and now there is no alert.

the log got full in 2017 as I could see the last entry for 2017. 

JunaidK
Senior System Engineer
0 Kudos