VMware Cloud Community
kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Home Lab - cannot create file creation operation

Hello after adding a new disk on its own data store -  2 tb ssd - I am not able to install or migrate images to this drive/datastore.  I am totally stuck as the error messages are very generic any ideas on what to look at?
thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns out for some reason if I format in VMFS 5 it works.   Guessing something to do with the ssd's - they are cruicial if that helps... not sure here might order samsungs and just use those as they are the other ssd's on the controller.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Literally don't understand what you're asking here because you have provided very little information. Please explain in detail and show some screenshots.

kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apologies;

All I am attempting to do is create a VM against a new datastore that is a single drive.

pastedImage_0.png

This is what I am getting and I am simply not sure how to start troubleshooting, I have of course googled but to no avail.  I am just at whits end and not sure why my nfs mouns are behaving better (can create new vms against nfs drives on my synology without issue).

Again apologies for the lack of clarity in my original post

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Somehow this VMFS datastore is in read-only mode or maybe the device has errored out. What is this disk? How is it attached? How did you go about turning it into a datastore (start to finish steps)?

kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The drive is attached by a SAS mega raid card (other ssd's and drives attached to this card as "jbod" and raid both work)

I created the datastore after adding the drive by logging into my vsphere web client and right clicking on the correct ESXI host then storage then create new datastore.  it is a vms datastore with essentially all the defaults taken.

The only thing I have done recently is add a couple of distributed port groups.

Thank you again for your help!

0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Either READ ONLY state or the write command to the storage is failing.

Could be bad cable, driver anything

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understood, cable replaced and the drive is recognized so not sure what else to do.. any suggests on checking status of state of Drive? 

Did I create the datastore incorrectly?

0 Kudos
kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should also add that I can upload items to the datastore I just cannot migrate vm's/migrate vm's

0 Kudos
mguidini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Almost all the threads point to a vSAN issue resolved by creating a VM Storage policy. If you're not on vSAN, I would try a converter v2v maybe, and cold migration?

0 Kudos
kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yeah I dont use vsan oddly so I caught that it was a vmstorage issue or could be as well.   I am sorry mguidini I am not familiar with v2v.  I did try powering off the vm and doing it that way as well as moving it from esxi directly, from datastore to datastore and no luck there either.

Seems to me if this were driver/drive issue I would not only not see the drive but I would have issue uploading test files to the datastore which I don't.

0 Kudos
mguidini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

v2v stands for Virtual to Virtual. Using the VMware vCenter Standalone Converter tool, you may convert from your vCenter to the same vCenter but selecting the new datastore:

VMware Converter : How to perform P2V and V2V Migration

That may help you to isolate this matter and see if its a datastore issue.

0 Kudos
kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will try now, just does not make sense all other drives are OK as jbod on that controller, I just feel like I am missing something.

0 Kudos
kujanme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns out for some reason if I format in VMFS 5 it works.   Guessing something to do with the ssd's - they are cruicial if that helps... not sure here might order samsungs and just use those as they are the other ssd's on the controller.