VMware Cloud Community
G0nz0UK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Home ESXi network issues

Hello,

I need some help here if that's ok as I'm no expert. I have been using an Intel NUC at home as my ESXi server (Free 6.7 U3) for 6 months to run my home firewall (pfSense) and a few Linux VMs to learn.  The pfSense server is also my layer 3 device for home and I've managed to create VLANs and put Wifi, IOT, VMs etc all on different VLANs, it been great.

The Intel NUC comes with a built in 1GB port and I'be bought a 2 x 1Gb thunderbolt adapter.

My Intel NUC - Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEH Product Specifications

Startech USB-C adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01L3H31PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 1Gb port that is built in goes to my switch as a trunk for all my VLANs and the 2 ports on the adapter are used for the WAN interface (to my router) for my pfSense firewall and the other for iSCSI to my NAS.

What was weird we lost the Internet at home which goes via the pfSense firewall, rebooting the VM didn't help or the router.  The router is fine as I'm using it now, but had to remove the ESXi host and set the router back to a WiFi device too.

I'm not sure if the adapter is faulty or ESXi is corrupt.

I can't seem to remove or add the vmnic:

pastedImage_2.png

I thought maybe it's not even the pfSense firewall as it looked corrupt so had to restore.

I have just tried to create a test port group

pastedImage_3.png

and vswitch

pastedImage_4.png

I've rebooted the host too.  What logs can I share as they are so many in the /var/log folder and lots within the files going back days?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
stevenbright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB network adapters will be removed from vSwitches when ESXi is rebooted as the USB NIC bindings load later in the boot process after the networking layer is initialized. I suggest reviewing the instructions on the USB Network Native Driver for ESXi | VMware Flings for information on how to persist your USB NIC connections after reboot.

0 Kudos