VMware Cloud Community
Nitzan_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High Level Tasks Performance - inconsistent

Something that has been bothering me for a long time and was not able to resolve even with Vmware ent. support.

Many many times I get to a point where high level tasks take a VERY long time to complete.

Obviously suspend time, and delete snapshot times are dependent on many factors like the delta file size or the RAM size and disk speed etc.

But what bothers me most are tasks that I would think need to finish very quickly can run for 10-30 minutes, sometimes even more.

Tasks like register,unregister,poweron,poweroff,reconfigure virtual machine, change portgroup setting.

This happens on both the Windows and the VCSA version of the vcenter server.

I do not think this is related to the vcenter since tasks are "stuck" also when run against the esxi directly.

Also, I see no resource issues on the VCs. I attached vimtop short video clip in case I am missing something.

Also, important to mention, there are many tasks run on the vcenter all the time as this is an automated environment.

suspends,resumes, registers, edit vm settings, etc... usually about 1-8 tasks run concurrently.

Also, tasks are slow also when they are the only ones running.

number of VMs per host is 50-150

Task on small vms are just as slow as tasks on big vms.

vms run fine once ready.

How do I even start debugging this? What influences tasks time like poweron for instance?

We use 6.0u3 for vcsa/vcenter,esxi

Really appreciate any help I can get.

vimtop: https://screenpresso.com/=tdTeg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Nitzan_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nothing?

0 Kudos