High CPU usage every 5 minutes

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.06.20 PM.png

Any idea what might cause this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Could be several reason. Did you checked if is any VM that is taking 100% CPU? Use ESXTop to see better what's happening ESXTOP - Yellow Bricks

Also check these: Solutions for Consistently High CPU Usage & VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Every 5 minutes? Maybe something to do with DRS?

0 Kudos
troykd
Contributor
Contributor

yeah, I've checked and no vms are taking 100%

0 Kudos
troykd
Contributor
Contributor

I tried turning DRS off and the spikes still shows... any other ideas? It doesn't reach 100% so the virtual machine performance is still okay, but I could've fit so much more VMs in this host if it didn't have these spikes.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Guest OS? Did you check with top (Linux) of perfmon (Windows)?

Nothing on ESXTOP at the spike's time?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

What are the BIOS power settings?

What is the PowerManagement policy? High Performance, Balanced, Low Power or something else?

0 Kudos
troykd
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so i missed it in esxtop before as it only appears for a couple of seconds. it's "osfsd" that's using a lot of CPU just for a few seconds and then goes away. Any ideas why might cause this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
troykd
Contributor
Contributor

I don't remember the BIOS power settings, but i think it's  whatever the default is. PowerManagement policy is set to balanced. I tried setting to High Performance and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Hi,

osfsd is for vSAN, then the performance graph must be a host.

what about using vscsistats to gather some info from the disks on vSAN is running?

Mastering vSphere 6.5 - ESXi Logs - Technorians

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"