VMware Cloud Community
robod2
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware status not trigerring alarms

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help or point me in the right direction.

I have a couple of  ESXi 6.5 servers managed by vCenter. I'm trying to setup the environment to trigger an alarm if there is any hardware related issue.

I've setup a custom alarm that is supposed to react to any "Host Error" or "Hardware Health Changed" events. It seems to be working in certain cases, however it doesn't work for hardware health issues. When I create a HW issue (e.g. storage) the Hardware status - sensor alerts function show the failed hardware component. I would expect this to generate "hardware health changed" event, but nothing is happening.

I think this isn't related to vCenter as I can see the alert definition on host level and the host itself doesn't seem to be bothered at all when there is hardware issue. Am I missing something? Is this supposed to work?

Just to summarise. The hardware sensors are working correctly as HW issues are showing in HW health monitor, just the event/alert doesn't seem to be triggered.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Rob

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mk112
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Rob,

I have exactly the same problem. I´m using vCenter VCSA 6.5 U1. I did not have this problem on my vCenter 5.5 U3 (Windows) installation.

Did you resolved this in the meantime?

Regards

Markus

0 Kudos
adr1an5
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. I have an ongoing case with VMware on this issue. Running vcsa 6.5 Update 1

0 Kudos
kbiradar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there

>I think this isn't related to vCenter as I can see the alert definition on host level and the host itself doesn't seem to be bothered at all when there is hardware issue. Am I missing something? Is this supposed to work?

Yes. You are right. This is not related to vCenter.

This is related to hardware alarms.

In 6.5, alarms are not working as expected but alerts are being shown,

I believe this will be fixed soon in upcoming releases.

As far as I know, future releases of 6.5 will have fix for the problem you are facing

This is known issue :

Hardware Status miscategorizes voltage, Storage, Processor entries, missing Hardware health  Alarm

Meanwhile, You can check Host UI for hardware sensor status for better response.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful