VMware Cloud Community
clops
Contributor
Contributor

Hard drive fault alarms in VCSA 6.7?

I'm using the html 5 client in a sandbox VCSA 6.7, and I'm curious about monitoring ESXi host local hard drive health. I do not have any email alerts set up yet.

I found a bad hard drive via the hosts iLO, but there were no obvious alerts within vCenter, so I'm wondering if it's something I have to set up before it alerts. I do see under Alarm Definitions that "Host storage status" is enabled for this host.

If I go to Monitor --> Hardware Health for the host, I do see a Disk Bay 1 sensor with an unknown status, but I had to 1) navigate to this location and 2) expand to open and see a message titled "Assert + Drive Slot Drive Fault" which I assume is related.

There's nothing under triggered alarms for this host, so I had no idea from logging into vCenter alone. Is there a way to make such a hardware failure more apparent in VCSA 6.7? I recall from the vSphere client in earlier versions, if things like network link redundancy was lost or if a datastore storage percentage was breached, it would be rather obvious under alarms when you logged in, but not sure about VCSA 6.7 in the html client, so I might be missing something here.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies