VMware Cloud Community
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guest OS show less RAM than provisioned

I have naked esxi 6.5 update 2 (Build 8294253) using free license.

I have 5 production Server VMs on it. One of the VM is running 2008R2, VM version 10 and it was provisioned 4 vCPU and 32 GB RAM. I have added 2 vCPUs and 16 GBs RAM to this VM. But OS still see 4 vCPU and 32 GB RAM whereas esxi host show 6 vCPU and 48 GB RAM provisioned to this VM. To troubleshoot I tried: VMtools upgrade, rebooted VM a few times, un-register and re-registered VM to inventory but no good luck.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which Windows 2008R2 edition (Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter) do you use, and how are the vCPUs configured, i.e. presented to the guest OS (Cores per socket).

Please remember that the Windows 2008R2 Standard edition only supports up to 4 CPUs.

Not sure whether the RAM issue is related to the vCPU configuration, but what you may try to test, is to only increase the RAM to 48GB, and let the vCPU count at 4.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

anyone any thought please?

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which Windows 2008R2 edition (Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter) do you use, and how are the vCPUs configured, i.e. presented to the guest OS (Cores per socket).

Please remember that the Windows 2008R2 Standard edition only supports up to 4 CPUs.

Not sure whether the RAM issue is related to the vCPU configuration, but what you may try to test, is to only increase the RAM to 48GB, and let the vCPU count at 4.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Andre, First of all thank you very much for your reply.

AND yes you are absolutely correct that windows 2008r2 std has 4vCPU and 32 GB RAM limits.

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos